Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teaching puppy different commands

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jobeth, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Hi-I've started puppy training classes for my 13 week puppy. Part of it involves the commands sit, down and up. He can do sit and has just learnt down. He looks at you when you give a command and will choose either in the hope that it is right! He doesn't get up yet though.

The trainer also wants them to go down without a treat, but I'm not sure that he will do it for just praise. Does anyone know why he can't get a treat? The man is good with the dogs, but not keen on asking him.

I'm using hand signals, but is there another way of helping him understand the difference?

Thanks.

2. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I think its ridiculous to ask a puppy to perform without treats at first. I have no idea why a trainer would say that. Have you seen this? YouTube - Puppy: 2 Month Yellow Lab Tricks Fab puppy. Treats are not required every time once the dog knows the command, but at first they are imperative.

3. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Thanks. I've been using treats at home as I don't think he'd bother otherwise. That video was brilliant-I love the high five!

4. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

So, if the trainer doesn't want to use treats for the down command - how exactly are you getting the puppy into position? I doubt such a trainer would wait for the behaviour to be offered in class, so I assume he is getting you to force the up in some way?

Pups don't magically know what a hand signal means - they have to learn to associate them with the desired behaviour. Obviously the more blatantly obvious your signals are (both gestures and verbals) the better at this stage.

I'm not sure why the down would be treated any different to any other cue, and starting out using food treats is generally the best way by far. Must admit your trainer sounds a bit - odd - to me. :confused1:

5. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

puppies, and dogs in general for that matter, learn by association.
    Sit = put my bum on the floor = I get a treat!!!
    its like teaching a 3 year old child something. the more you practise and reward the behaviour the more likely it is to happen.
    i would follow his instructions in class and then repeat the exercises at home with treats to reinforce what you are teaching the puppy.
    all the dogs attending my classes are rewarded with a treat no matter what stage of learning they are at - hand signals help but why would any dog perform a movement over and over again if there was nothing at the end of it for him?
    also, i dont understand the use of the up command. did you mean to get up from the down position or to climb up onto something like an examination table?

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I dont know how I would have managed without treats :eek: Heidi is 14 months and I still use them. She has a passion for chasing our cats and every now and then we have to go through it again so at the mo, I am asking her to "sit or leave" when she gets the urge and her reward is a treat. No way would she sit still and leave them alone if a treat wasnt on the end of it.

I also still use treats when we are out. She is a little terrorist and I learned a long time ago that for recall treats were essential. If I forget to bring them her response gets less and less enthusiastic so for us - treats are good :thumbup:

I think you have to do what works best for you and your dog. Surely the trainer can advise but now tell you what to do?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice