Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

teaching older dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by K_Upton, Jul 28, 2009.

1. K_Upton

K_Upton PetForums Newbie

ok our dogs are older, both about 9 years now. Since moving into the new house, when we let them out in the back garden they seem to be doing their business everywhere! Now we know it cant be helped and they do get regular walks. How do we encourage them to perhaps keep it in one area? Its becomming a nightmare to hang out washing

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

When you have the answer - let me know! lol x

You need to go back to basics and take them outside to the area you want them to go in. When they go reward them with a very high value reward. It is time consuming, but you will be able to do it! x

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Thats pretty much what I would do. Take them out every so often to one area praise and reward like crazy and they'll hopefully start going in one area.

4. catellkai

catellkai PetForums Junior

When there are two dogs involved it will never be easy as they will prefer different spots all the time, just to upset you more.

5. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

How long ago did you move house, could it be that they are still 'marking' their new territory?
    Watch closely and you might see that they use one area more than others (possibly a shaded area or close to the boundary), if that area is acceptable to you, try putting some temporary fencing up (chicken wire and garden canes) and taking them directly to there and then praising and offering a high value treat when they go. Do you have a go to the toilet command that you can repeat over and over as they do their biz?

One of the best bits of advice I ever received was when I moved house.... I was told to collect my dog's poo and wee before he even entered the house/garden, and take it into the garden and dump it where I wanted him to go. Not only did this encourage him to repeat there, but it also tricked him into thinking he wasn't a stranger to that house, making him more relaxed during the move. Of course this is too late for you, sorry! but you could still collect their waste on walks and leave it in your chosen toilet area now. Don't let them see you dumping it though :D ;)

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Great bit of advice. We are due to move soon and the house currently has a lovely garden. I was wondering if there may be a way of encouraging them to go in one bit of the garden and maybe this is it!

Not sure about transporting the poo lol!:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice