Teaching Hold

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by Old Shep, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

im trying to teach my not at all interested dog to hold a dumbbell.

I stated by clicker training him to touch the dumbbell with his nose- which took all of 5 mins!), but I'm not sure how I progress this. I waited to see if he would mouth it, but he doesn't. He just throws all the other things I've clicker trained him to do and lies down/chills ets:D

Maybe I should use something softer than a dumbell?

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

If you want to train your dog to retrieve a dumbell then do NOT use it when training.

If it all goes pear shaped you are stuffed.

I tend to use paint rollers or pool noodles.

Also what position are you in?

The clicked retriever book is excellent on this.

If it were me, once he has nosed it, look for ANYTHING that resembles something else near what you want eg mouth opening, licking of lips etc.

3. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Thanks for that- I was at Adrien Slaters talk at Crufts and he spoke about using paint rollers. That's fine. I have a few of those in the decoraring box, so I'll fish one out.

May I ask why it is best not to use a dumbell to train? I'm guessing perhaps it's very boring for them, but if they already retrieve more interesting things hen perhaps, in a competition scenario, they would retrieve the dumbell as it will be a novel article.

Then again, I'm just guessing ;)

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

No the reason you do not use a dumbell (or a dummy, or a bird) to begin with is that if you screw it up, you may put the dog off retrieving what you want it to retrieve in competition (one of the reasons there is a structurd programme in place re birds eg you do not send out gundog to retrieve a freshly shot bird).

You can poison the article.

Nothing to do with excitement.

5. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

I'll look for that book.

He's not really an HPR as the R seems to have lost somewhere!

Adrien said at the talk that you should not leave anything lying around for pups to self retrieve- so maybe that's what I've done wrong. He loves to greet people with his stuffed bear in his mouth.

Thank you.

6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

The logic is the same whether the dog is an HPR, gundog, or any or no breed.

There is a school of thought that dogs should not be reinforced for self retrieves (rather than not allowing them at all) it depends, as usual, on the dog (and the owner/trainer).

:)

7. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

....more than one way to skin a cat!

The more I read about dog training, the more I come to realise that. Especially after reading linda Case "beware the straw man" which looks at the actual science behind dog training. Turns out -like most thing- it's not quite that simple.

8. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

:) The dogs unfortunately do not read the books! :D