Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teaching a pup to heal

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by HB2210, May 4, 2010.

1. HB2210

HB2210 PetForums Junior

I have a 13 week old German shepherd and we are just starting to go for short walks :) only problem is he's choking himself in his enthusiasm to explore outside :( I understand that it is early and he's young but whats the best thing to do when he pulls to help teach him and me the best way to alter this behaviour. At the moment I'm using collar and leash if this makes any difference.

2. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

what helped i found was turn turn and walk the other way when he pulls or stop until he stops pulling then contiue walking and repeat if her pulls.......

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

if you google dog training there are loads of sites that have advice that you can put in favourites and refer to as often as you like.

the kennel club has various training pages too.

i did have loads in favourites but lost them all when i had to reload windows.

there is some great advice out there if you look around the net.

4. ArwenLune

ArwenLune PetForums Senior

Are you going to a puppy class? They can help you.

I really like this method: YouTube - Happy Jack Russell Terrier (JRT) Heels for Toy | AskDrYin.com
    (be sure to read the video comment - Dr Yin explains it very clearly)

It's based on making the good behaviour (a slack leash) rewarding - so as long as the leash is slack (you might need to lure the pup in position with a treat to get that leash slack at first *) you start to quickly walk in the direction he wants to go.
    When the leash goes tight, you stand still like a tree. Keep your hand close against your side to there is no 'give' in the leash. Lure the pup back into heel if necessary and again, quickly walk forward when the leash is slack. The connection 'loose leash = getting what I want' and 'tight leash doesn't get me anywhere' will form. You can then shape that into not just loose leash but heel position, but that's later work.

*) using the lure helps to establish the connection between loose leash and reward (going where he wants) sooner. If you just stand still and wait for him to give up and stop pulling, some dogs will get really frustrated and play up, and you don't get anywhere. Better to set him up for success by luring him into position.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice