UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry for posting this as it is really quite pointless but I had to share it. I'm sure some people will be cross at me for laughing but it was a genuine shock and some times those things keep tickling you even if they shouldn't.

Milo is very intrigued by cats. My mother in laws family have cats, and Milo often finds himself face to face with them and never knows what to do. He is always supervised and the cats always have a get out area should they need to. It's never been an issue, he's just been nosy, and liked to keep looking at them. He's had them up close and has always seemed more frightened by them than anything.

However!! Today there was one sat on our shed roof. Our shed roof is very high, covered in some sort of growing leafy things, and we very rarely get cats in our garden. I heard Milo barking in the garden which is unusual, and upon my entering the garden, I saw the cat, and Milo was a bugger and ran away from me! He would NOT come in and I couldn't catch him.

So I went inside, and let him get on with it. After about 3 minutes he was still barking, and conscious of upsetting the neighbors tried to get him back in. No, he was still being ignorant - he is never like this, but I think the presence of the cat really threw him.

Our window fortunately over looks our garden, so I opened it up, and threw half a pint of water on the path NEXT to Milo, to break his focus on the cat. It worked, and he stopped barking, jumping forward as he heard the splash.

Unfortunately, I heard an almighty, angry / scared meow / cat scream, and as Milo shot forward towards the cat, the cat shot forwards off the shed towards him. All that flashed through my mind was "that cat wants revenge" (daft I know, it was just so unexpected). I looked up, everything is a bit of a blur by now as I thought Milo was about to get eaten alive by an angry cat, and there was ANOTHER cat on the shed which had obviously frightened the first.

Well the fact that the cat had flung itself infront of him sh** him up enough, and he came running full speed, into the back door (it was shut). I opened the door and he was gone again, so I've gone yelling GET IN NOW, and he comes flying into my legs yelling his head off, hackles up, all stiff. I picked him up to take him in, and he was rigid as a bone, his little claws digging into me, and POO up my arm !!! He had run through his latest poop in a panic!! What is it with me and poo?!?!

Now i keep cracking up out loud about it, and my neighbors probably think i'm mental and my dog is a right pest!!

Hes on the sofa, looking into the kitchen which leads to the garden seemingly traumatised, the poor thing. He has never in his life gone after cats although he is a terrier and i'm hoping this isn't gonna make him wanna chase all of them off because he's easily rattled and it will make life difficult visiting the in laws (advantageous maybe? lol :p).

I know i probably didn't handle that well, what do YOU do to stop your dogs going mad about cats? As i said it's rare we get them here but i need to be a bit more prepared!!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Cats can be b*ggers - they'll happily torment a dog by staying out of reach. They know when they are safe.

I wouldn't worry too much about you MIL's cats - if he goes for one he'll probably get a swipe round the nose which will teach him a lesson.

I've kept dogs and cats together (big dogs!) and to be quite honest, it's always the dog that's come off worse in any altercation!

·
Registered
23,361 Posts
Oh dear....fancy wearing poop all down your arms!!LOL:lol:
I get lots of cats here just hanging out on shed roofs and driving the midget army to distraction. Adam and Heidi will come in when called but Hannah would stand out there and bark until she was hoarse so I have a slip lead i put on here to lead her in.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
My little one is scared of cats in the garden as they are bigger than her. My oldest will chase but doesn't bark at them and leaves them alone if he manages to corner them. At times though the cat has the sense to go to the top of the summerhouse and watches whilst my dog looks for them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Maddie always shows an interest in my mums cat, and will chase him if he runs, the cat soon got wise, as soon as he stops, she doesnt know what to do and will stand there barking at him, if she gets too close she gets a swipe and ive never seen her run so fast :rolleyes:

my brother also likes to torment the animals (the cat will usually leave the room or hide if he comes in) he carried the cat in and held him in front of maddie the other night she just backed off bless her

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.