Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teach an old cat new tricks

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by RebeccaCairns, Jul 21, 2009.

1. RebeccaCairns

RebeccaCairns PetForums Newbie

My partner and I have recently adopted a lovely 16 year old domestic short hair from a local animal shelter. The problem is she prefers to use the house as a litter tray instead of the tray itself. She was ok using her litter tray at the shelter but shes only used the one we've bought her twice. Im getting annoyed cleaning up mess around the house every morning. Any ideas on how to litter train the old girl again?

2. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

I've read other people suggesting things like changing the litter. Perhaps she is picky about which litter is used? May be worth finding out what they use at the shelter and see if that works.
    Other than that i'm no expert, just wanted to try and help :)

I'm sure someone more experienced will have other suggestions at some point.

3. gemmstoned

gemmstoned PetForums Newbie

I dont know if you've tried any of the usual, I would suggest as soon as she has an accident anywhere in the house immediately take her to the litter tray and run her paws through the litter to show her how to dig and remind her. This could be difficult if shes doing it at night when you arent around though.

Other things I did with mine, was after every meal, put them in the litter tray and most of the time they would do a poo then and i'd give them a fuss. They got the hang of it pretty quick.

I'm not an expert but i'd hope an older cat could be trained in the same way expect it might take longer, but if you do the same thing week after week I'm sure she'd get the hang of it sooner or later?

I'm sure you already clean well but perhaps invest in a special odour removing pet safe cleaner to totally wipe out the scent of anywhere she's been before, this should discourage her!

best of luck xx

4. RebeccaCairns

RebeccaCairns PetForums Newbie

Thank you both for your advice. Ive bought some deoderizing powder and have been putting her in the litter tray after every meal. Shes remembering fast bless her. Shes also learnt that if she uses the litter tray, she gets ham lol. Thanks again for your help! :) xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice