Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tea

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lemonpie, May 9, 2010.

1. lemonpie

lemonpie PetForums Junior

My 4 month old kitten drank some of my tea the day before yesterday, and yesterday i woke to find she had the squits. I've been giving her plain boiled chicken since then and she hasn't been to the litterbox again (which I realize now is normal when kittens are on cooked chicken).

She seems her normal happy self. Should I still be worried she might have any effects from the tea? She must have been drinking for up to half a minute before I got to her :scared:

In case you were wondering, it was with milk and 1/2tsp sugar :p

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

She should be ok if she ony had a little :confused: maybe drink decaff in future ;)

3. bug_girl

bug_girl PetForums Junior

Cats are quite often lactose intolerant, so it may have been the milk in the tea.

4. lemonpie

Leela isn't eating today... She isn't meowing her head off for foor either as she usually does :(

I fed her cooked chicken in the morning yesterday, second meal she had a bit of whiskas with it and the third smallest meal she had all whiskas.

I think some poop in the litterbox was hers, it was soft/melted looking but not runny like the other day.

I've not had them refuse food before, what's wrong? :frown:

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Oh dear :( caffeine isnt good but she would have needed alot more to make her ill :confused:

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh no! I am with Dally Banjo on this, unless she had a whole cup of strong tea I doubt there would be enough caffeine in it to cause some serious damage.

Is there any way you can tempt her to eat with some strong flavoured food such as tuna? Or sardines in tomato sauce? How about smearing some of her food on her paw - does she lick that off? Sometimes that kick starts eating.

Has she eaten anything today?

7. lemonpie

Thanks for the replies guys, I've emailed her breeder and told her about the tea, she said the same about the milk probably causing the earlier issue.

She said that kittens get funny like this every so often so to wait and see how she goes today.. Leela has a cold nose which is good apparently, it's dry though.

Thanks for your advice Hobbs, she hasn't eaten anything today but just had a little bit of tuna. Only a tiny amount but it tempted her at least!

I'll keep offering her different things throughout the day and see how she does, luckily I am working from home today and tomorrow so will keep a close watch.

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh that's good! She needs to eat slightly more than just a little bit, so keep on persevering.

One of my kittens stopped eating for a few days last week - I managed to tempt him to eat by feeding him prawns. The other thing that was suggested to me is if you have some chicken, just warm it up lightly and then feed her some - the flavour becomes stronger when the meat is slightly warmed up.

And mix in a little water in with her food if she isn't drinking so she doesn't become dehydrated.

Fingers crossed that she will soon be back to her former glorious self! :) At least the poop isn't liquid anymore. Do you happen to have some pro-kolin paste at home that you could give her to help her settle the stomach?

9. lemonpie

Spoke too soon on that, she just went and it's runny.
    Indie tried to eat it :scared: He did this last time she had the runs, gross. I'm sure it's some sort of behavioural problem, surely he's not that hungry?

I don't have any pro-kolin, if I end up taking her to the vets I'll ask if they have any there.

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

:eek: He tried to eat it? Hmm, maybe his way of burying it? Better not go there.....

Hmm, what to do? If you have some chicken in the house, could you just feed that to her this evening? Just warm it up a little. If she is still runny and off her food by tomorrow morning then I would take her to the vets - maybe for an anti-inflammatory.

Yes, you should be able to get pro-kolin paste at the vets (though they may charge you more than an online shop). May be worthwhile just getting some for future occasions. I always have a small tube lying in the cupboard.

11. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I get my prokolin from petmeds website - its half the price that the vets charge me normally (£9.98 on petmeds for 30ml tube).

12. lemonpie

Leela had a nice long nap under a blanket I put over her, and later started eating a bit of tuna mixed with chicken and water I brought over.

An hour later she got up and went into the kitchen so I gave her chicken and water which she slowly but surely devoured :) Seems much happier now and is grooming and alert, her nose is wet again too :D Hopefully it was just a passing poorlyness.

Leela and her sensitive tum are 4 months old today :)

Ordered some prokolin as well to be prepared for any future incidents :p

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

:thumbup: Sounds as though she is on the mend and has got whatever was bothering her out of her system! :thumbup:

Phew, they certainly like to keep us on our toes!

14. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

wow ... this is a first for me, a cat reacting so strongly to a bit of tea!

I have to fight one of mine off or his nose is in my coffee!

However, that said, i wonder if she was brewing an infection or had nibbled on something else she shouldnt have had!

Who is indie? a dog?.... if dog then i'm afraid your pooch has descovered the secret delight all you can eat cat poo buffet! Most dogs lurve it! BLEUGH!

15. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

You can also get pro-kolin most pharmacies nowadays.

16. lemonpie

Indie is my other kitten... which is what worries me :confused1: I've looked online (it's called coprophagia) and it seems that when kittens do this it can be out of curiosity, so I didn't think too much of it last time. But he's done it again today a week later...

The other suggestion is that he's lacking minerals or I'm not feeding him enough, he's a maine coon so growing fast, I'll up his food amount again. He ONLY does this so far when it's runny poo so I suppose it's not properly digested and smells good :eek6:

Oddly enough he's never had a funny tummy since he's been here and was weaned on hi-life. Either way they have a checkup at the vets due in 2 weeks so I'll bring it up then.

In other less gross news, Leela meowed like crazy for her dinner and ate the lot, yay!

17. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yum - I am glad I had my dinner a wee while ago :lol:

18. lemonpie

Haha sorry for the grossness :D Lucky I have an iron stomach.

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ooh don't get me wrong - I can talk poop but what you are proposing is a whole different dimension :lol:

Glad your girl seems to be on the mend!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice