Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tea poisoning

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, Jun 30, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

Any one here heard if you can be made ill by drinking too much tea?
    I drink sooo much, I just wondered if there was such a thing :)

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I don't think you can get tea poisoning :D I hope not - I drink gallons of the stuff :D it has caffiene in it but not as much as coffee and I do have some de-caf too. Not had any ill effects so far:rolleyes:

3. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I've never heard of anyone being ill through drinking too much tea,i too drink loads of it..But i've just looked on the net and found that White tea is good for loosing wieght. I've never heard of white tea before.:D:D

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

nor me - I thought white tea was with milk :D:D

5. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

lol im not sure but i hope not as its the only thing that keeps me going at work :D

6. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Weight for weight tea contains more caffiene than coffee but it also contains a high number of antioxidants which are supposed to be good for you some way but it is a dieretic which I think means your body uses more fluid to help your liver to filter the tea so it can dehydrate you.

Not sure it can poison you though unless you drink obscene quantities i.e. 100's of gallons a day but then you'd drown your system and die anyway.

7. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

yeah ive heard that before, and i do remember hearing about the man who killed himself coz he drank too much water :eek:hmy:

makes ya wonder how much you really should drink in a day.

8. rona

rona Guest

The water thing was something to do with the salt in your body, I suppose any liquid would be the same

9. jlushh

jlushh PetForums Member

10. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Read some thing some where teas meant to be good for keeping cancer at bay but not sure how true it is.

11. rona

rona Guest

Lot of stories about tea here but no facts :)

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I read an article on the BBC website, saying that they now think thats a load of pants (the dehydration thingy) and that tea keeps you better hydrated than water does.

BBC NEWS | Health | Tea 'healthier' drink than water

13. rona

rona Guest

HaHa, you been trying to find out some facts for me :D

14. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

hahah that's genius.. blatantly the journalist writing that didn't realise tea is made with water? bloody halfbrained journists shouldn't be allowed to write 'sciencey' stories, only those with science degrees should be allowed an attempt.

Tea is supposedly/allegedly better for you than water because it contains more antioxidants in it than water which get rid of free-radicals, however, free-radicals are kept at a natural (and hence needed) amount in your body by your body, overloading your system with antioxidants from food stuffs that have artificially increased numbers of antioxidants rather than natural levels seems like a bad idea to me and many other scientists. however there is no research as yet that has proven it either way, although there is some compelling research suggesting that A it makes no difference and a few B's that say it can make things worse, none say it makes things better.

As for the caffeine in it being bad for you, or dehydrating you is poppycock, your body will be adjusted to the caffeine in the amount you normally drink and so will managed to get around the amounts no bother, it's the same for any kind of juice, does the same job as water. the only reason you should drink water over anything is it has no calories and doesn't damage your teeth and insides (like carbonated/sugary drinks). the only time tea/coffee is 'bad' for you is when you drink much more than you are used to, then you can get sideeffects from the extra caffeine.

Drinking too much water in a short time flushes all the good stuff (like salt) out of your body, which is why when you are very dehydrated (with a headache etc) you should also eat apacked of salted crisps as well as drink moderately to rehydrate yourself.

15. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

you cant get Ill from drinking tea! ive been drinking 3 cups a day since i was 6 and im perfectly fine!!

16. rona

rona Guest

3 cups is not excessive, I'm thinking 10-15 a day :eek:

17. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

I drink tea all day long. White with 4 sugars. I have always drank alot of tea and do not drink anything else. Hate water and juice. May have a glass of lager with a meal out sometimes but followed by a cup of tea.
    Aparently the tanning wards off cancer

18. rona

rona Guest

4 SUGARS :eek: YUK

19. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

4 sugars yuck? When i was 8 i had 6!! i now have 3 lol

20. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I love tea! I love ice tea in the summer. I'm trying to cut out sugar in my tea and coffee but it's habit to put the suger in the mug! Hard habit to break, I do it without thinking!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice