Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tawny Owl chick

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Amelia66, May 10, 2015.

1. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

I think i have just seen the cutest thing in my whole life.

There are a pair of Tawny Owls who come nearly every year to nest in the OHs parents garden. They live next to a wood and the owls use their owl box which is attached to a very very old tree. For a while we did see parents coming back and forth to the box and i could hear them calling at night when i took the dogs out, but for about a week i had heard nothing from them.

Last two nights i have heard them calling again and about 20 minutes ago was called outside to see a little blob of fur sitting in the garden. Oh god it was the cutest little thing i have ever seen! First time i have ever seen a owl baby and it was so adorable.

Needless to say dogs are all shut inside while baby is in the garden, and we are hoping he can make his own way back up into the safety of a tree!

Do have pics ... but they are so far away as we didn't want to disturb him.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

How amazing. I caught a glimpse of a couple of Barn Owl chicks once. It's always a life highlight when you manage to see something so special :)

Amelia66 likes this.
  3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Lucky you, they are gorgeous. Hope he's ok. A couple of years ago when out walking one of my dogs she found one, the tree his nest was in had collapsed & initially I though the poor thing was dead, I could't even feel a heartbeat initally. But I took him home & managed to get some food in him & he made a miraculous recovery. I had him just over a week & he was adorable, the most beautiful eyes. I managed to get him a space at the local raptor centre where they looked after him until he was ready to be released.

Amelia66 likes this.
  4. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

We moved him closer to the trees a little later in the evening as were worried about him being snatched up by a fox. He was soon off scrabbling up the trunk and we could hear them [we think there at at least two] calling mum and dad for food so we are hoping hes ok now.

Jonescat, Cleo38 and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What a treat!

Glad he made his way back up the tree :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice