Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taurine in Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by FEWill, Apr 28, 2010.

1. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ha, good point PG. According to FEDIAF and their nutritional guidelines for wet and dry cat food, 100g dry matter dry food should contain 0.10g, while 100g dry matter of wet food should contain 0.20g. For wet kitten food, it should be slightly higher with 0.25g/100g.

However, the suggested feeding rec of felini complete is per cat and they suggest feeding between 200mg and 500mg to top up the taurine content of the food.

Does that help?

2. Dulally

Dulally PetForums Junior

Thank you so much for the info on powderd taurine. It's on my to-do list tomorrow.
    I've tried feeding Buddy raw beef, tilapia (fish), liver and heart - he won't touch it. He started well on Natures Menu, With RC kitten kibble, progressed to Applaws & their kibble and is now on a mix of Orijen & Applaws kibble and human chicken, turkey and
    an occasional mouthful of John West kipper pate it had 0.6g, which I thought permissable as he'll get it once in a blue moon. Any bright, better ideas please ? :)

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Dulally, as it is not really about taurine and to keep the sticky relatively on topic, could you create a new thread in health and nutrition with the above post re dietary advice? Thank you! :)

4. Howldaloom

Howldaloom Guest

Can you bake taurine into home made cat biscuits or is it better to mix it into their raw food?

5. Nattie

Nattie PetForums Member

I feed a mostly wet diet (Mac's, Petnatur, Grau) and would like to boost the taurine levels with some dried chicken hearts. It reckons there's about 5000mg/kg of taurine - does that sound about right? If so, how many grams of chicken hearts per day or week?

6. Howlet

Howlet Banned

I have tried taurine powder and it does have a very slight tang to it.

Plus after drinking it, it makes my belly slightly quesy.

7. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Does anyone know how much Taurine is in Hilife?

I know it says complete but doesn't list it on all the foods, only on some of them :confused:

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

You might be best off getting in touch with Hilife to see what they say. To complicate matters, taurine is, I believe, often only listed in the added amount; not in how much the food contains overall (naturally and added combined).

9. aliecia

aliecia PetForums Newbie

We have been giving our cats vitamins since they were kittens, due to the fact that it has taurine and we wanted to make sure that they were getting enough of this essential vitamin. I have read about the effects of a deficit in taurine, and our veterinarian, in fact three different ones told us that there isn't a negative effect if they get too much taurine. We give them 1/2 teaspoon Excel Kittyvite Vitamine Paste, malt flavor daily. My husband and I are healthy and we still take a daily vitamin just to ensure we are getting all the vitamins we need, so why shouldn't our cats also get a daily vitamin to ensure that their needs are also being met. :cool:

10. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I ordered some from eBay and it has arrived today, however they must have assumed it was for me, as they sent me a sachet of strawberry night time muscle recovery powder. :D

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Just checked this out and it doesn't seem to contain any taurine. :confused:

I would always prefer to use a pure taurine supplement instead of one that includes taurine amongst its list.

12. Treaclesmum

I would never buy pet supplements from Ebay as I could never be sure what was in them... :eek:

13. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

Can the taurine be mixed in with the food even if another supplement is being added such as salmon oil?

14. caela

caela PetForums Newbie

Lol this is such a great idea, just make sure they get all the prawns or you might have a nasty smell :eek: I give my cats sprats sometimes and they take them out their food bowl and hide them round the house I swear I'm so scared of fish as well I nearly had a heart-attack when I almost trod on one by our bed!!! Ewwww! :eek:hmy:

Can I just ask as well how often should you feed prawns because my two love them so if I get a good deal on prawns they get some (but unfortunately for them, both me n my boyf like prawns too, so I open a packet only to be swarmed by everyone in the house and they are all gone in seconds). Is there mercury in prawns too? x

15. Treaclesmum

Can I just confirm, how much Taurine do the Zooplus brands contain?? Coz I just checked the Animonda and it doesn't list it, although it may be more of a natural inclusion rather than an additive, am I right?? :confused:

Hopefully, it should be more than the supermarket brands...? ;)

16. Austin

Austin PetForums Junior

I'd be interested to know this too - can you overfeed prawns? I just started trying my youngest two on these and after an extended playtime with their first one, they now practically inhale them. If they had alternating chicken hearts and prawns each day (one a day) in addition to their commercial food, is that sufficient taurine?

Also, looking at the Woldsway site, do their rabbit minces contain enough taurine for cats, as they are aimed at both cats and dogs? I was thinking of starting them on that maybe once or twice a week maximum to begin with, but if they enjoy it enough and the raw starts to outweigh the canned wet food, obviously making sure they are getting enough taurine from their diet would be of greater concern.

(On a side note, the bone-in rabbit pieces seem ideal for keeping their teeth nice and clean, but just how safe are they? Are the bones likely to get stuck in their throats? It's this fear that has made me wary of trying chicken wings...)

17. Austin

Austin PetForums Junior

Further to my last post, a friend of mine asked Woldsway about the taurine content of their foods and they said they add 0.2% taurine to their whole rabbit minces but don't currently add it to their rabbit/chicken combo minces because of the chicken hearts in the mix. Hope that helps anyone else who was considering whether to order from them or not. I'm probably going to try some of their products soon and I'll post in (what I hope is) the relevant raw feeding thread rather than this one to let folks know what my furry pals think of their first 'complete' raw experience...

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Just to clarify, Woldsway add taurine to some of their minces? Do they have any analysis as to how much taurine their food contains then?

Incidentally, I am not sure whether their argument that they don't need to add taurine to their chicken/rabbit mix because it contains chicken hearts is a valid one. Not only do they include rabbit heart in their rabbit mince but also it is the processing (mincing) that denatures the taurine. So, personally, I would take their info - without knowing more about potential analyses they have done across their range - with a pinch of salt, or rather with a pinch of added taurine. ;)

19. Austin

Austin PetForums Junior

That's all they said apparently - they add 0.2% taurine to the whole rabbit mince but 'are still deciding whether to add it to any of their other minces which already have chicken hearts in the mix'. I was planning on adding chunks of gizzard, prawn and/or heart to the minces on rotation anyway (which my little monsters already love) so mine would have something to chew, but whether that would be enough of an additive to meet the necessary daily requirement or not I don't know.

I suppose if they're still looking for customer feedback whether to add the same amount of taurine to all their minces or not it might be a good idea for all the raw feeders on here to email them and let them know we think it would be a good idea! Strength in numbers, and all that. ;)

20. marbleandwotsit

marbleandwotsit PetForums Newbie

Maybe I am being thick, but reading the first couple of posts Hobbs is saying that cats need their food to contain 2000mg per kg of food. If chicken hearts contain less than this and they seem to be one of the most taurine rich foods, why does cat food have to contain more than raw meat amount?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice