Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taurine in Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by FEWill, Apr 28, 2010.

1. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Does anyone know if lamb is a good source of taurine? Sorry if i have missed the mention.

#41 HollyM, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

It is not so much the type of animal Holly that is relevant to taurine but the type of animal part that is being used. So muscles that are being used, such as heart, intestines, tongue, leg meat, shoulder meat etc are going to contain more taurine than breast meat.

For the differences in taurine depending on animal heart, for example, check out the Spitze pdf. Edit, there is precious little heart in that comparison. So perhaps do a comparison by leg vs breast meat.

#42 hobbs2004, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. tyrole

tyrole PetForums Senior

Talking of heart. Max loves the heart mince :) I have just spoken to Lesley at Raw to Go who suggested trying him with heart chunks.

4. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Yes i feed heart etc but for the other info i will check that out. Thanks.

5. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

I have bought some taurine, but it doesn't come with a measuring spoon, anyone have any idea where I can get one?

6. tenryhamilton

tenryhamilton PetForums Newbie

In cats, taurine is essential for the formation of bile salts that are necessary for proper digestion of fats in the small intestine. Unlike other species, the cat can not use a second amino acid taurine for this function. Therefore, the cat was an important requirement for taurine, which can only be achieved through the hepatic synthesis of sulfur amino acids in the diet.

7. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Sorry, but did you copy that bit of text from petngarden.com and tried to alter it a bit, making it sound slightly different? I was just wondering about this, as what you're saying doesn't make sense, so I googled ;)
    Was this the bit of text you were trying to put down here?

In cats, taurine is indispensable for the formation of biliary salts, that are necessary for the good digestion of fats in the small intestine. Contrary to other species, the cat cannot use another amino-acid than taurine for this function. Consequently, the cat has got an important requirement for taurine that cannot be met by the hepatic synthesis from sulphured amino-acids present in the diet. The cat relies on its dietary intake of taurine.

Chez, you won't really need a measuring spoon if you are mixing the taurine through every meal. You will just need to add a knife tip of taurine and a little water to dissolve it.

cammypup14 likes this.
  8. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Didn't want to add it to every meal, but maybe once a day. I figured this was a bit impractical and have decided to add to each bag of my minces...so 1lb (450g) bags. So I should use about 1g, is that correct?

Thanks though Sorcha!

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Perfect. As said before, it is water soluble so any excess will just be secreted out.

10. Cerridwen

Cerridwen PetForums Member

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Right there on page 1 ;) But it is such an excellent resource there is absolutely no harm in posting a link again!

12. Dulally

Dulally PetForums Junior

Er, can you buy taurine? I feel really ignorant now :( as I've been scouring the net and butchers' counters in an effort to buy meat with the highest taurine content. NOW if it's marketed on its own, please tell me where/how I may buy it. Pretty please ;)

13. Shayden

Shayden Banned

go to the butchers and buy some heart! that will do :)

14. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Does anyone know if the supplement powder has a strong taste? I have tried using in a couple of times a week my cats regular food and they turn their noses up.

They're fussy cats usually (I can only get them to eat fish flavoured foods) but there is something about the taurine that they don't like. I dissolve about 250mg in a few mls of water and mix it in with their tuna sachets but they catch on every time...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

15. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Here Dulally, this is what I and a few others use (comes with a measuring spoon):

Felini Taurine: great deals on cat food and supplements at zooplus

I believe you can buy it from various sports shops aswell in powder form.

@ Dozymoo, mine have never noticed it on their food. I normally end up adding more water to it than I intend to and it ends up making its own 'gravy' mixed with the blood from the raw food so perhaps they just can't tell the difference? - I'm not sure how it tastes though, sorry!

16. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

thanks Dante. I'll keep persevering with it for now. Hopefully they'll come around... :)

17. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, you can buy powdered taurine. You can buy the Feline Complete that Dante links to on zooplus or you can get cheaper variants on ebay or from sport shops.

Or you can look through the linked pdf in the quote below to find the most taurine-rich foods.

Are you raw feeding or just wanting to supplement your cat's commercial food?

The powder should be absolutely tasteless Dozymoo. What are you using and are you dissolving it thoroughly in water before adding it to the food?

18. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Hi Hobbs,
    I'm using the Felini Taurine from zooplus. I'm doing about a scoop full dissolved in about half an egg cup of water and sharing it between the two cats and it's always completely dissolved. As it's tasteless, maybe what's putting them off is the texture of the food after it's been watered down... I'll certainly keep at it and hopefully they'll adjust. Maybe a bit less water will do the trick. :)

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, perhaps try less water. Cats can be such fussy creatures :tongue_smilie:

Dozymoo likes this.
  20. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy PetForums Senior

I'm still confused. The list of taurine in a variety of meats and seafood was interesting but the implied requirement in other posts for 2,000-2,500mg/kg is missing a couple of units/dimensions - is this per cat per day or per kg of body weight of cat or what ?

I will try to do some more online research myself, but without a time period and size-of-cat the quantity required has no meaning. Or am I just being thick and missing something obvious?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice