Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taurine in Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by FEWill, Apr 28, 2010.

1. ccarriee

ccarriee PetForums Junior

For some reason, my computer has refused to load this forum for a whole month! which is why I wasn't able to reply. But thank you hobbs, I am now using the taurine supplement and have decided that a daily dose of 250g for each cat seems appropriate :)

2. AnnaK

AnnaK PetForums Member

Good morning all! Another interesting thread, there is so much to learn about cat nutrition! Am I right in thinking that it is worth adding taurine no matter what food one is giving the cats/kittens? I am keen to do the best I can for my kittens but at the moment we cannot really go above a food bill of £50/£55 a month for the pair, is it possible to give an optimum diet whithin this budget?
    All help and knowledge very gratefully appreciated. :)

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Personally, yes I would supplement. Maybe feed some raw heart once or twice a week or get your hands on some powder (either from a pet shop, but more expensive, or from a sports/health food shop, which is cheaper) and add some dissolved powder (about 250-500mg per cat) to their food once or twice a week. As it is water soluble any excess is secreted out.

4. AnnaK

AnnaK PetForums Member

Thanks again for your wisdom, I will seek out some heart and see how it goes. One heart between two kittens (21 weeks) or one each?

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

If you are lucky enough to get chicken hearts then one/two each a couple of times a week. But my bet is that you will find lamb heart and ox heart most easily (particularly if you have a morrisons or a good butcher). These things are huge.

Don't feed a whole lamb's heart though. Some cats get a runny tum from too much heart. Cut it up into small pieces, which will probably take you back to a biology lesson in school. Feed about half to the two cats that day and the other half a few days later.

You can freeze the cut-up pieces and defrost for a day in the fridge before feeding.

6. AnnaK

AnnaK PetForums Member

Brilliant! Thanks again. After reading your A-Z wet food thread I have bought some Grau and Smilla from Zooplus and a few Bozita and I will start with the hearts and then gradually increase the raw food amount. As my partner is a recent convert back from vegetarianism I think it will have to be gradual or else I will be doing every feed myself! Very glad I joined this forum.:thumbup:

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

There are a few vegetarian raw feeders on here - including me and my OH! :D

8. ccarriee

ccarriee PetForums Junior

It's funny you say that, Anna... I'm actually a life-long veggie but my personal view is, cats have such different nutritional requirements from us which are rather specific by comparison, and if we choose to keep them then it's our responsibility to meet those requirements, regardless of the decisions we've made about our own diets. However, my other veggie friends think I'm nuts doing this for raw feeding!

9. AnnaK

AnnaK PetForums Member

I agree Carrie and I do want to make the complete conversion, at the moment I need to research total costs and although my partner loves the kitties as much as I do he is also rather squeamish so I think gradual is the way to go. I personally get very irate with vegetarians who force their philosophy on theie pets, who as you say have very specific requirements and also have no choice!
    Big respect to all the veggie raw feeders.

10. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

I work with somebody who is vegan, and I have recently been told she feeds her dog on a vegan diet too! :eek6:

11. AnnaK

AnnaK PetForums Member

A vegan dog! I know there is a lot of veggie and vegan dog and cat food out there and I am sure the people who use it or make their own are convinced their animals are healthy, but please! If you want a vegan pet then get a rabbit.
    If a dog was offered a carrot and a beef bone which one would he go for first?
    Actually knowing dogs he would probably eat them both but I bet the bone would be first choice.
    What was your reply to your colleague?:)

12. lil_angel_

lil_angel_ PetForums Junior

well said!!!

i am a life long veggie too but would never ever feed an animal designed to consume meat and utilise meat to fill its needs a vegan diet! thats insane. anyway i do have a question about taurine, i bought some of the powder supplement from zooplus only its all in german and im english hahaha .

i know how much to give, but when mixing it with water, how much water do i use? does it matter how concentrated it is or what? i have been using a teeny bit of water to mix the powder with then mixing that with my cats wet food....

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

http://www.petforums.co.uk/1768661-post19.html

Ah, ok, you know how much to use. Just use a little water - just enough to dissolve (needs some stirring though; I use an eggcup), add to the food. Voilà. - done! You could use more water if you want to increase the water content of the food overall. Doesn't really matter.

14. lil_angel_

lil_angel_ PetForums Junior

ahh thanks for that :)

15. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

16. AnnaK

AnnaK PetForums Member

Hi Billyboysmammy

Of course I was not including people who have to do it because they have no choice and it is in the cats best interests, merely those who are not feeding meat because of their life choices. Thanks for the confession!
    I feel ashamed by how little I knew about the nutritional needs for cats before we got our kittens!
    Also how I still can't work out how to upload pics of them!

17. tyrole

tyrole PetForums Senior

Can Taurine be bought in health food shops?
    I forgot to add some to my Zooplus order :( Max is now eating half a tin of
    Animonda and the rest raw from Raw to Go

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Try sport shops Tyrole.

19. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh b***ger, just made up a lovely batch of raw and forgot to add extra taurine!

20. tyrole

tyrole PetForums Senior

Thank you :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice