Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

taurine and prawns

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by spid, May 12, 2010.

1. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Okay, I've found a cheap supplier of minced chicken and bone (about £2.30 a kilo) but it has no extra in it to give taurine - how many prawns would I give a day to boost this? They have the occasional offal but aren't that keen on it.

billyboysmammy likes this.
  2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

When you say minced chicken - are we talking the whole chicken (inc heart, liver etc)?

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

assuming were just talking minced chicken whole carcasses (i.e like we would buy for a sunday roast), so without heart, lung, liver, kidney etc.

I would give 3 fresh raw prawns (normal prawns not king etc) or 5 cooked to ensure they have enough taurine per cat. Even better if you can get some scallops, clams or other shellfish as they have even more taurine than prawns!

You will need to give them some offal though, otherwise they will be deficient in other minerals and vits.

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yup, I would be great if they could grind in some liver if they are not very keen on eating it - for Vit A.

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

thanks guys - yep just chicken carcass (no innards) - I shall have to get buying shellfish by the looks of it. They do do different stuff as well, but most of it is for dogs and has veggies added, but I'll investigate further.

6. miholove

miholove PetForums Junior

always learning something new from this forum :) just wondering, where do you guys get your fresh prawns from? billngsgate fish market (london) is every near from where i am and plan to visit within the next few weeks, but meantime, is it okay to use any frozon (not cooked/fresh) prawns from the grocery stores (i mainly shop at tesco or sainsbury's, sometimes marks & spencer)? also, is it okay to give them a whole fresh/cooked prawn inc. shell & tail?

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I either get mine from the fishmongers or from asda fish counter :)

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

i get mine already peeled or shell them myself - so interested to see what other people say re the shell.

Like you, I get mine either frozen or chilled from sainsbury or M&S - Waitrose do some organic ones - and from the fishmongers, which I then freeze.

As BBsMammy said, you need to feed less when they are not cooked (the cooking process depletes taurine). As I also feed heart I only feed about 4 prawns to each cat twice a week.

I am seriously thinking of getting a freezer just for the cats' food. I am currently thinking of getting some day old chicks for my cats to try but I cannot bring myself to store them in "our" freezer that is now jampacked with minces, heart, liver, kidney, stomach, fish etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice