Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tattoo I.D

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sarahnorris, May 14, 2010.

1. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

am reading a book at the moment, from the USA.

now it says that many owners tattoo their dogs, most choose the inside of the rear right thigh as an ear tattoo can easily be cut off.[ouchy!]

they use there national security number or the dogs registration number...

now my question is, can we do this in the UK?
    and do you think it would be better than micro-chipping?
    and if you had the choice which would you choose?

not that i would although it does say "there is no pain, although a few dogs don't like the buzzing sound"

all my dogs are micro-chipped, i don't think I'd like to see them be tattooed TBH.

#1 Sarahnorris, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

#2 hawksport, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  3. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

so its like a tag? like what a pig or a cow has?
    ..do you have a photo hawkspot? sorry to be nosy :p

4. _Sara_

_Sara_ PetForums Member

I tattoo could always be modified? A chip cannot be. Although I do like the idea of it being a visible thing :thumbup: I mean you could buy a dog not knowing that its chipped and 6 months down the line find it belongs to someone else? At least you could check up on the tattoo number. If it were to come in I think I would have both a chip and a tattoo. A tattoo so she was easily recognizable as belonging to someone and a microchip just incase they change the tattoo.
    This is all if the worst should happen mind. I never take her anywhere without a collar with tags on.

5. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Sorry I gave you a link to pig tattoos I have changed it now.
    There is a picture here of one The National Dog Tattoo Register
    Unlike chips they don't stop working or move and have to be taken out

6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

It could be modified but the register is national so getting paperwork to match would be difficult.

7. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

very interesting, thanks for that!

8. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Being ex-racers my dogs have ear tattoos. I've heard that even though you can trace the owner via the tattoos often people don't always check for them or know who to contact if the do find them so my boys are also chipped.

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Norris will be tattoo'd once he's older. It's very common for lurchers, greys and whippets to be tattooed as they are targetted for thief so owners do it for security. You see at Lurcher shows people casually flipping over the dogs ears to check!!! All my friends with lurchers have told me to have him done, esp right now as he's not been castrated yet and is young enough for someone to train (mind you they'd have to stop him shaking and looking for him mum before he'd run off and chase anything!!:lol:).

10. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

All of mine are microchipped, we had the litter of pups all done at 7 weeks before going to their new homes.

I remember reading something somewhere about a lady who showed her dog internationally and had some sort of problem as her dog wasn't microchipped only ear tattooed... apparently DEFRA don't accept it :confused1:

If it's something that can be altered then I'd think twice about it as if someone wanted to pinch your dog and they really wanted to hang onto it, they'd find a way to change or remove the tattoo. They won't even know the microchip is there ;)

11. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I would have thought the inside thigh would be quite painful, going by my own tattoos, the inside of my arm/wrist was most painful...

I wouldnt want Kira tattooed on her ear, but if it didnt hurt i may get it done inside thigh.

She still needs to be chipped actually, i'll have her chipped when shes spayed in a couple of months

12. hawksport

hawksport Banned

If they want to keep it a micro chip wont stop them, the chips registration only proves ownership of the chip and not the dog it is in. Untill the law is changed there is no way of proving ownership of a dog, all you need is a reciept and the police wont help and it becomes a civil matter that could take years. Even if a dog is scanned by a vet and found to have a chip there is are data protection laws that make contacting an owner to tell them where a dog is awkward.

13. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I agree that this would be the case with a cross bred or unregistered pedigree, but if you have a registered pedigree, the microchip should be on the registration as mine are. This proves the dog it is in.

14. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I want to get Maya tatooed because she's with me allot mostly in town I always worry about people as many show allot of interest in her. Since maya's ears stand up it would be easier to see, I thought about having barney done at one point but decided because of his floppy ears you woulden't so much see it and not everyone looks for it.

I think they are a good idea, although both dog's are still microchipped I would still get Maya tatooed at the least.

15. hawksport

hawksport Banned

It proves the dog it is in but that doesn't prove who owns the dog. There is nothing that proves a dogs ownership. If I come and steal your pedigree, registered and chipped and tattooed dog and write out a receipt signed by a made up person the police wont help you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice