Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taranulas

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by dingal2000, Aug 18, 2018.

1. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

just a short little post . I’ve been reading some very misguided information being giving from novice keepers to wannabe keepers .

Please do not give advice if you really don’t know yourself.

If anyone is thinking about owning a tarantula as someone has stated get yourself a book and learn.

Someone stated that tarantula need to be misted once a week : incorrect: there are species of tarantula like Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Common name :Green Bottle Blue who like there substrate bone dry. For the most part most tarantula do well with just a water bowl,

Regular misting can result in mould and fungus infesting your enclosure, if you feel the need to mist the enclosure , please allow it to dry completely before doing it again.

Someone else said . “Just feed it five crickets a week” incorrect, you got to take in to account
    1) species
    2) size
    3) age
    4) size of feeder
    Most tarantula will get obese if over feed. Research before you by will be your key to having a healthier beautiful Tarantula.

Also I’ve seen to many people recommending old world tarantulas to beginners . Or beginners purchasing one with out know what they are getting.

It’s fair to say, if you are confident around creature and very careful , you could start with and old world tarantula. But if you are a complete novice . Please please seek advice on good starter New world tarantulas

I hate to see some one for example buy a C. lividum and be put off for life because it’s trying to eat you every time you open the lid or worse if it’s an OBT or has the speed or the Poecilotheria species.

Please please please do your research and learn before you buy .
    Thank you

Colette likes this.
  2. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

FIVE crickets a week!? Jeez I imagine mine would explode!

I know how you feel. There's so much abysmally poor info out there about tarantulas. I personally would like to see all Ts for sale labelled as to whether they are new world or old world, and arboreal, terrestrial or burrowing.

The C liv must be the biggest disappointment for a lot of new keepers. Beautiful yes but aside from being grumpy there are notorious pet holes. As a keeper with limited space I'm making an effort to stick to species I will actually get to see!

dingal2000 likes this.
  3. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

I know someone , thankfully an experienced keeper have his C. lividum shoot up the tongs while trying to tong feed, luckily he dropped the tongs in to the enclosure.

My OBT is not scared of anything, the normal reaction of OBT when you tap the enclosure , is to run and hide ; not mine it sits there looking at me like “what the *$#% do you want?”

My pokies are pretty cool, apart from teleporting they are quite calm .

My T. stirmi sling spends a lot of time hidden away it’s like looking at the cork bark and thinking , I’ve got £60 just sitting under there lol

4. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Haha my most disappointing T is my P sazimai. I deliberately went for a nice new world blue one rather than jumping into pokies. Now it just lives underground and I see it maybe once a month if that. Rarely manage to get a photo since as soon as it senses me there it buggers off again.

I now have my first P Metallica who seems pretty cool but it's only a sling so we'll see how that pans out.

My P irminia is a bit psycho. Very nervous and will bolt at any disturbance. Unfortunately this may be well be towards me rather than away and he's damn fast.

That said I'm loving the whole psalmopeus genus, currently up to 3 ( irminia, cambridgei and pulcher). Would love a P victorii but not keen on the price tag lol.

5. Mark clewlow

Mark clewlow PetForums Newbie

Correct advice research, digest, and be careful all tarantula are capable of biting but in 25 years I have never been bitten by a tarantula respect is also a big yes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice