Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tarantula related stuff...

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by Jamie, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

All tarantulas can bite, but their 1st defence is to run away! New world species (from south America) have urticating hairs on their abdomen, they will flick these into the air as a defence also. These will only cause minor irritation. Old world species (from Africa and asia) do not have these urticating hairs, and tend to be more aggressive. Tarantulas will usually rear up and put on a threat display before biting.

Any Brachypelma species, there are many! Mexican Red knee (Brachypelma smithi), Mexican Red Rump (Brachypelma vagans), Mexican Pink (Brachypelma klassi) are just a few examples. All hardy and easy to keep.

Definately Greenbottle Blue Tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens), you get everything you want out of a tarantula. They grow at a decent pace, ravenous feeders, make elaborate webs and they are stunning from spiderling to adult!

I've been on there since November 2007! Also Arachnophiles Forum - Powered by vBulletin is a good site with wealth of knowledge in it's members. I'm no expert, I just know what I need to know.

#21 Jamie, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

chiles are pretty docile mines never bitten and children of all ages have held her x

3. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

Here's, in my opinion, some mouth watering tarantulas. None of these are mine, they're all off google images...

Monocentropus balfouri - soccotra blue baboon
    [​IMG]

Poecilotheria metallica - Gooty ornamental
    [​IMG]

Poecilotheria subfusca - Ivory ornamental
    [​IMG]

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - Greenbottle blue
    [​IMG]

Xenesthis immanis - Columbian purple bloom
    [​IMG]

4. metame

metame PetForums VIP

theyre beautiful! i especciallyy like the gooty ornamental!

5. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i took my chilean into my kids school for them to look at. all the children loved it and were really interested but the parents were scared lol

6. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

Highly sought after species, well all 5 of them are! Adult female Gooty ornamentals can go for £300-£500 :eek: For the soccotra blue baboon, they are even more expensive!

They are all quite rare though and thats why traders keep the prices up!

7. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

lol that sounds about right!

I used to do village fairs for the wildlife park I used to volunteer at. We would do talks on bugs, reptiles and tarantulas. They would ask me to bring my own tarantulas because they were better than the ones they have at the park!

8. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

do you handle yours?? i get mine out alot but some people say they shouldnt be handled...

9. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

i heard that to

10. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

I just copied and pasted this from the other thread that I highjacked earlier! Because it's late and I'm tired!

The handling issue has been going on for eternity it seems!

The people who think its ok to handle will argue that as long as it's done properly, there shouldn't be an issue. To handle properly, you should be kneeling down or over a bed, place your hand flat infront of the spider and gently coax it on to your hand.

The people who are against handling will argue that the spider doesn't benefit from this. There is only risk of dropping the spider or it biting if it got startled. A tarantula can die from being dropped from around 2 feet or more. the abdomen will rupture and it will bleed to death.

Thats just a basic run down of the ongoing debate. You should see the arguments on other tarantula forums I go on!

11. metame

metame PetForums VIP

they are beautiful!

What tarantulas do you have?

12. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

I have 5 Greenbottle blue spiderlings that will be a breeding project for the future! A scarlet bird eater, a chile rose rcf, a Mexican red knee, a chile sp 'red' and 2 of a newish species called Chilobrachy sp. aladdin (I don't know their common name!)

13. metame

metame PetForums VIP

oh wow. just googled them all (google is my friend!) and they're all amazing!

14. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

so really it's all down to the individual really isn't it

15. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

Yeah pretty much. There is no definative answer.

Although the BTS (British Tarantula Society) will not condone handling at all. They are strickly against it.

16. metame

metame PetForums VIP

:confused:
    why??

17. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

I can only guess this one! I would say it's because out of both sides of the argument...it's the safest option! There is probably some info about it on their website, but I am far to tired now! :eek:

18. metame

metame PetForums VIP

oh, ok. joy.

im heading to bed in a bit, so goodnight! and thanks for a fascinating evening!

19. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Sorry for not asking more questions I had to go to work.
    What do you do with the babies? Do they stay in the same tank as the mom or go to a different one.

Does the mom actually do anything for them or are they left to fend for themselves.

I'm finding this all really interesting, Ill admit I skimmed quickly thro the pics and will most likely have to search my room for spiders before going to bed. But I have to say I have more respect now for Tarantula's.

#39 Miss.PuddyCat, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  20. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

We've had a few spiders over the years, our 1st two were rescued from a house raided by the police for drugs, the landlord brought them out not knowing what to do with them, when someone told him my son was into exotic pets.

We ended up with 2 chillian Rose one male 1 female, both were not in the best of condition but were very tame 2 new tanks & a steady supply of food soon brought them round we had the female for 12 years before she died but we never actually knew how old she was, the make only lasted 18 months he was missing a spiner & couldnt make a web nor could he shed.

My son also worked in a pet shop for a while so any spiderlings with problems or damage in transit came our way, not all survived but we still do have a chilian rose who is about 6 now, & a friend of ours has a mexican red knee & a chilian rose my son gave her once he'd got them well.

My nephew also has 2 chillian rose's from the spiderlings my son looked after.

He's always had a passion for exotics, as well as the rose we have a mexican red knee who is fairly placid, & a goliath bird eater who definitely isnt lol ( all 3 are female)

She flicks hair as soon as you go near the tank, & has a verocious appetite, & unlike the other 2 she's not pretty in my opionion.

He has snakes too tho did downsize his collection a lot due to ill health 18 months ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice