Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tapewormer

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Boba, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Boba

Boba PetForums Junior

About a month ago I gave my dog a tapewormer tablet that needs to be given to him every 3 months. Only now did I realise I was supposed to give 1 and a HALF tablets every 3 months. It said 1 tablet for every 10 kg and he's 11.6kg, a year and a half old. I don't know what to do now any help would be much appreciated.

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

If it says a tablet per 10Kg on the packaging, then what has lead you to think that you're under-dosing? Following that information the extra half tablet would be for if he weighs 15Kg (10Kg + half of the next 10Kg).

Burrowzig and Boba like this.
  3. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

11.6 kg I would give the 1+1/2 tablets. As you are over the 10kg and inside the next level up to 15kg.
    Best to give a little over than under!

niamh123 and Boba like this.
  4. Boba

Boba PetForums Junior

His previous vets had written 1 and a half on the packaging and I'd only given him 1.

5. Boba

Boba PetForums Junior

It's been a month since I gave the tablet to him. Do you think I should give him the extra half now or leave til next time?

6. Boba

Boba PetForums Junior

I will check with the vets to see if that's the right amount to give him.

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

No, the half now won't do anything; the dose would be so 'under' it would just be a waste of half a tablet.
    I'd leave it until the next dose is due, then give the correct dose. Is there anything that makes you think he's got tapeworm in the first place?

Rafa, Boba, niamh123 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Boba

Boba PetForums Junior

No, not really. That reminds me I should've researched on this before. Is it a necessity or unnecessary chemicals? I feed my dog high quality raw which should fix a lot of problems he may have had.

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Dogs can pick up worms from vegetation that eggs have landed on, and lungworm is something worth bothering about - it causes more health problems than intestinal worms, but is a lot less common. If your dog has tapeworm, you can see the shed segments in the faeces.
    I normally worm once a year with Drontal - the dogs get it for their Christmas present, and once in summer with Panacur. I don't like to over-medicate and there's not a lot of lungworm where we live. It's worth checking out the lungworm map before deciding when to worm, and which product to use.

Boba and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice