Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tank pictures ?!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

4EA8A0AC-314A-4807-879F-ADEFE05B9083.jpeg 16148AD6-53BE-4151-9BC3-EA5A9943ADB5.jpeg 60BFDDD3-1F7C-47BD-88B6-6F4C1AC6732B.jpeg BCE68F52-A6D0-4104-B89B-C35BB3AA756F.jpeg Hi guys!,

I thought it would be fun to have a tank update!! Everyone post there pictures of there tanks :)!

Il kick it off with my 240L and 60L.

not in the best of condition as it’s water change and pruning day tomorrow!!

2. NovaLevent

NovaLevent PetForums Newbie

Very nice tanks.....love the 240. Looking great! Keep up the great work.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  3. Fishnewbie

Thanks Nova! A little underwhelmed with the reaction to this post! haha!

4. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Your tanks look lovely!

I've done similar threads in the past and had not much response either ;) I think often people don't tend to take lots of pictures of their tanks unless they're looking particularly good! I only have the one tank now and it's typically quite barren as the goldfish tend to kill off most plants I attempt to grow. The fish themselves are doing great though, no doubt enjoying chomping on all the lovely vegetation I stupidly keep providing for them :rolleyes::D I would kill for plants like yours!

Fishnewbie likes this.
  5. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Looking great :) Sorry I missed this thread, been busy with work the lat few days! My tanks are in no condition to be photographed right now ;) The 70L needs a complete overhaul and new substrate as the current sand layer is too thin to anchor any plants in; the 135L has a bit of hornwort but the barbs are doing their best to destroy it :rolleyes:

LinznMilly and Fishnewbie like this.
  6. Fishnewbie

Thanks Magpie, much appreciated :) , i guess that must be the case! Was worth a try! I have never kept goldfish but i have heard they are little lawn mowers!

7. Fishnewbie

Thanks Naomi! Thats a shame that there not in photo condition but sounds exciting to have a project of building them back up again! Good luck! What barbs do you have? I absolutely love my golds so full of character!

NaomiM likes this.
  8. NaomiM

I also have gold barbs at the moment. I did have them in with odessa barbs, who were stunning fish but very hard to find tankmates for as they harried and outcompeted everything else - the golds were the only other fish I successfully managed to keep with them! The odessas have all succumbed to old age now, though, so the golds currently share the tank with a mixed school of zebra and leopard danios.

What do you have in with your barbs - looks like swordtails and something else?

#8 NaomiM, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Fishnewbie likes this.
  9. Fishnewbie

I have always been interested in other barbs but have stayed away as i have heard of their boisterous nature! Not that i would mind that but for the sake of my other fish! The swordtail was actually mis sold to me as a male platy... it wasnt until he grew that impressive spike that i realised but a bit of a bonus because he is a beautiful fish, i always heard they were quite fragile so never really had any interest. As for the other tank mates there is quite a collection in the 240! All south american species apart from the barbs and garra ruffas (i believe these are the fish that used to be used to clean feet...):

3 Platys
    1 Bristle-nose
    2 Keyhole Cihclids
    2 Kribensis
    2 electric blue rams
    6 red eye tetras
    6 gold barbs
    2 garra ruffas
    1 hillstream loach
    3 bo rainbows
    and a whole host of snails!!

NaomiM likes this.
  10. Fishnewbie

I have deffo left some out here ... hmmmm :Banghead

11. NaomiM

Nice collection there! I'm thinking of getting a few hillstream loaches to go with my barbs and danios (135L tank), but I'm not sure as I hear they can be sensitive to nitrate and mine is 40ppm straight from the tap :( Also, I guess I'd need to add an extra powerhead to increase flow at the bottom of the tank - do you have one for yours?

12. Fishnewbie

Yes and I am sure I am missing a few!! They are great little fish and excellent cleaners! Obviously I still feed him wafers and cucumber , I have no extra flow, I did read that they prefer faster flowing water but did some research through YouTube videos (mainly aquarium coop check him out) and spoke to my local Madien head guys who I trust very much! And found it not to be an issue , my filter it’s quite powerful and I have two air pumps and a sponge filter so there is lots of movement for him, see a picture attached :)! What’s in your smaller tank at the moment then?

Attached Files:

whatnots2015 likes this.
  13. NaomiM

My 70L at the moment is home to 4 bronze corys, 7 neon tetra, 6 espei rasboras and 6 galaxy rasboras, so pretty much fully stocked. Just need to do something about the plants and substrate!

Fishnewbie likes this.
  14. Fishnewbie

4 bronze corys!!! have them in my 240 lol! nice set of fish though! :) , look forward to seeing when the plant and substrate is in :)

NaomiM likes this.
  15. whatnots2015

whatnots2015 PetForums Newbie

Not so much a picture of the tank as a picture of Dotty the goldfish whose human I am

Attached Files:

raysmyheart, Fishnewbie and NaomiM like this.
  16. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Haha! Very much so! They've had a tidy up today so you can see what I mean about barren :D

[​IMG]

17. Fishnewbie

Still very beautiful!! Is that bamboo? I like the lowered light is that set like that? And amazing looking fish!

18. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Thank you! Yes, it's lucky bamboo, it's one of the few things the fish can't eat as the leaves are above the waterline! :D

The lights are just basic led bars that sit on the rim, they only have the one setting. I wanted to get rid of my hood as it was very heavy & bulky and the florescent lights were a bit iffy, so I now have it with an open top and I love it. The lights I pushed close together in the middle to keep the edges darker as I have some anubias there and it doesn't like being under the lights.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  19. Fishnewbie

Successfully moved into my new house!!!

Attached Files:

20. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Looks amazing. I hope to get to that level soon, I think I best get my own place first though. :D
    When you have pruned the plants can we see updated pics?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice