Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tank layout question, help please

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jun 24, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I just had a thought.. I was looking at my fish tank and thinking how much nicer it would look without my filters stuck on the sides, and thought about that black stuff you can get from pets at home to go on the inside of the tank.. It's like plastic rocks or something?

Can I put my filters on the back wall of my tank and cut holes so that the water coming out of the filter goes in front of the plastic, and make holes in the plastic to allow water to go through, or will this affect the way my tank is filtered? And would it be ok to keep the heater behind it or will it affect the heat?

I also just found something about making my own back drop... A DIY background for the Small Tank Could I use that to hide my filters?

Also, with the plastic could I just make a hole and stick a small fake plant through it to make it a bit less bare?

x

2. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

Hi

I think the scenery on a roll stuff should go on the outside of the back of the tank.;)

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I already have a cenery on a roll.. But I'm talking about stuff you can put inside the tank. It comes in a big sheet of black (I think it comes in brown too) and you just cut it to size and put it inside your tank.
    My auntie has it in her vivarium.

I will try and find a pic.

x

4. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

Oops!

Not sure about putting the heater behind the plastic stuff - I wonder if this would affect its functionality.

Some of the PAH staff can be quite knowledgeable. Hopefully, they will be able to give some advice.

5. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Hiya,

I thought it was a good idea a few years back to buy some of this and no end of problems keeping on the back of the tank and after a couple of weeks gave up and took it of and was left with awful marks on the glass. I would seriously think again.

There is no way you could put the heater behind it and regarding the pump it would block all the inlets and then cause untold problems with youe paras.

There are so many ways you can decorate your tank to obscure the heater and pump depending wether or not you want a pretty pretty tank or a more natural effect and definatly far cheaper than the backing you are talking about.

I have 6 4ft tanks and numerous smaller and all the heaters and pumps/uplifts are hidden but still work effective.

Have a look around for slate etc (this is great for builllding up and hiding pumps and heaters as long as you leave enough room for them to work effectivly and make great caves for the fish. You can also use plants, either live or plastic or both.

Another thing i have got are urns. Yes urns, when I go to garden centres and see broken urns, pots etc i ask if I can have them ( they only throw them away) and they are great for hiding things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice