Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Tank accessories for Land Snails

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by TsukiCat, Oct 13, 2018.

1. TsukiCat

TsukiCat PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I'm getting an African land Snail and I was wondering what sort of things to put in his tank as there's nothing specifically for snails. Could I buy reptile and fish things for the tank (stuff for him to sliver on)

2. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

I keep my Giant African Land Snails in the HLQ tank, this is the special tank designed for snails which lets more air in as the temperature of the surroundings increases. Mine slide up the sides of this tank and either rest there or hang upsidedown from the roof. The floor of this tank has dishes of food (vegetable peelings), egg shells (for calcium) , a water dish and a bowl of soil (for them to bury their eggs). I find this arrangement works very well. So my advice is to get another snail because yours will be lonely if he is by himself.

3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

So you dont keep your snail on any kind of substrate? You only have a bowl for egg laying?

Snails dont get lonely btw, they are perfectly happy to live alone. Although they can breed as a lone snail, adding more only increases the chances of eggs being laid so if the OP doesnt want to deal with loads of eggs all the time then a lone snail is the better option.

Dont put anything hard in the enclosure so avoid things like rocks, pot plant pots, hard food bowls etc because if they fall (which they do easily) they can damage the shell.
    Substrate is usually coir and should be at least 4 inches deep as snails like to bury to regulate their temperature or just hide. Putting a bowl of soil in is not enough. They dont need a water dish as they get all their hydration from food and humidity, and food can just go straight on the soil. Useful additions to the tank are plastic plant pots for them to hide in, moss (also to hide in but keeps humidity levels up too), bits of bark, fake plants. This time of year is also great to add some dead leaves. Anything you get from outside should be collected away from any vehicle pollution or footpaths. It should also ideally be 'sterilised' by baking in the oven or blasting in the microwave.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice