Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tammy needs teeth removed :(

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lil Doglets, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

I noticed Tammy had smelly breath recently, checked her mouth and there was a horrible rotten tooth all wobbly :( it was so loose i thought it would come out when she ate so i thought i'd give her a meal to really get them teeth working, gave a big lamb spine that she spent 2 hours on, checked teeth after and not only had the rotten tooth not budged but i then noticed 3 more loose teeth! :eek:
    So just back from vets today and she said she will need them taken out and a good clean :( she had the blood taken today for pre op blood test, poor girl did not enjoy that! will get results tomorrow so hope nothing else sinister pops up...

I feel really annoyed at myself as she was having plaque off and her teeth were fine, then it ran out several months ago and i kept forgetting about it til just recently, now this has suddenly happened and wish i didn't leave the plaque off so long :(

Am thinking of trying one of those little soft finger sleeve things to clean her teeth, she hates dog toothpaste and won't let a toothbrush anywhere near her so that might be the answer.

Oh and wanted to ask if anyone knows what that stuff is called that's like a herbal thing that can help against plaque? Seen it mentioned a few times but can't remember the name of it :)

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Oh no, poor mite! She's raw fed too, isn't she?! I know Yorkies are prone to lots of dental troubles though.

It might be fragaria that you're thinking of? No personal experience of it, but I wouldn't bet on it doing much good personally. When I first got my greyhounds they had really manky teeth and I used Logic gel to help get things going - the Logic softened and loosened the tartar, and then the raw food helped dislodge and scrap it away. Their teeth went from caked in real thick sticky tartar to lovely and snow white within the year, so I'd definitely recommend that. You don't need to brush their teeth manually with it - they just lick it from your finger, or you smear it on their teeth and gums with your finger, and it finds its way around their mouth!

Good luck for tomorrow, Alfie snapped a tooth a few weeks ago (chewing on a fabric toy, of all things! :rolleyes:) - he had to have the root removed, and although was very groggy afterwards, and a bit out of sorts for a few days afterwards, he bounced back quickly. Alfie had the pre-op blood tests too because he's ten, and nothing was found, so everything crossed it's the same for Tammy.

Sending hugs to the pair of you! x

3. sligy

sligy PetForums Senior

The chi has lost all her bottom teeth at the front, we had them cleaned about a year ago all was fine went in 6 months late cos we noticed bad breath and she had gum disease, Poor little thing is so much happier now there out tho, and she gained weight, something we have always struggled with.

4. Lil Doglets

Ah yea fragaria that must be what i was thinking of ty

And yes she's raw fed but although it did transform her dreadful teeth when i started it's never got them quite spotless unfortunately :( still a hell of a lot better than they were though! The plaque off certainly made a difference too

Not tried logic gel but i did try a different gel once that said you just smear it in their mouth but i only got to put 1 little blob in she hated it so much it was impossible to get any more in, i ended up just splodging it all over her face! :eek:

Glad to know Alfie was all fine that's reassuring :) how on earth did he snap a tooth on a soft toy!? :eek:

No wonder i have white hairs appearing at only 22 :lol:

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

The Logic gel can be brought for about £7 on Pet Supermarket, so is cheap enough to trial (compared to some dental preps!) - it is meant to be quite palatable (beef flavoured, I think), the greyhounds loved the taste of it but then there isn't much greyhounds don't like the taste of! :rolleyes: It comes with a long pointed nozzle attachment, that you screw onto the end of the tube, that you can use to direct the gel to the backs of their mouths, which might make it easier to administer to a tiny wriggly dog!

Oh goodness knows how Alfie managed it :sosp: He chomps through oodles of raw bones, gnaws away on his stag bars, chews on all sorts of rock hard toys with no probs - but goes and snaps it on a Kong Wubba?! :eek:ut: Only Alfie!

Let us know how Tammy gets on tomorrow! :)

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

aww, poor girlie.:( Hope it all goes alright at the doggy dentists!!
    That does seem to be a problem with the little toy breeds. Even if you raw feed them it still doesnt clean all their teeth properly. Heidi has a problem with her canine teeth, they seem to be going brown even with plenty of raw bones.:(

7. Lil Doglets

Yay pre op bloods came back ok :D i couldn't even sleep last night was so worried something horrible was going to pop up and sat all day just waiting for the phone call being all stressed out :eek:
    So as of Wednesday Tammy will be known as the hill billy :p now i have to worry about that for days!
    It's her birthday on Tuesday too, shall have to make sure she is thoroughly spoiled so she maybe won't hate me quite so much the day after :eek:

8. SixStar

SixStar Banned

So glad the results came back ok! :D

Surprised they are leaving her until Wednesday with such chronic toothache though - have they given you painkillers for her?

9. Lil Doglets

They didn't give painkillers no, i guess they didn't think she needed them as you can poke the tooth all around and she doesn't seem bothered really :confused: still chomps all her raw bones fine as the tooth is just a silly little one along the side in the middle (if that makes sense)
    She's normally a huge drama queen and totally OTT with the most minor of things though so would of thought if it was really painful you'd sure know about it!
    Is a bit strange though now you mention it, i didn't really think of it tbh :eek: Tammy's only been to the vet for 2 things in her life and both were false alarms so not exactly experienced with these things :eek:

10. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

I would also second the Logic gel - mine seem to love it!!
    I feed raw bones, use the Logic gel and Plaque-Off ... so fingers crossed!!!
    Naomi x

11. Lil Doglets

Had to re schedule it til Friday now as the damn snow ment half the staff was missing! And ofc i didn't hear the phone call while i was on my way so walked all the way there in the snow and then had to come back :rolleyes: went for a nice little detour down the park though so wasn't too bad :) poor Tammy was so cold and wet though as i only put her little lightweight coat on for a short trip!
    Hope it doesn't get delayed any longer :(

12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Aw no! How gutting :( it's so awful when you get yourself all pepped up for something then it's postponed!

The snow was only a pathetic dusting... How on earth couldn't people get to work?!

13. Lil Doglets

Indeed i was so worried all morning i started to feel sick and panicky and now got to go through it again on Friday! :(
    Apparently some of the staff had been on the roads since 7am (i went there at 10.15) and still hadn't made it as the road the vets is on is a very very busy one was completely jammed up the whole way along as i was walking, i guess there could of been some accidents somewhere along the way.

14. Lil Doglets

Just got back from vet, and am now Tammy-less and crying :eek: she's never been away or kept at vets before :( really hope nothing goes wrong :crying:

15. SixStar

SixStar Banned

How did Tammy get on today?

16. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

How is she? I just wanted to say one of mine needed teeth out too (through an accident). I gave her minces for the week afterwards, but she was then back to chomping on RMBs. All is well now, better out than in if they are manky. :D

17. Lil Doglets

All went well :D went to pick her up at 6 so have just got in and she went straight out for the toilet then whining for her dinner, scoffed that up and is now snoozing on my lap :)
    She's still quite dozy and wobbly on her legs but not too bad.

She's had 8 teeth out i think it was, 2 top front ones, 2 bottom front ones, 2 behind the canines on the right side, and i think it was 2 back left ones.
    So now her little tongue pokes out a bit at the front cos she has a big gap there!
    Seems rather alot but she still has all her main canines and most of the big back teeth so eating shouldn't be too difficult (i hope!)

I was told to feed her soft food only for 10 days would raw minces and things cut up really tiny be ok?

18. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

Glad she is ok, I fed minces and swallowables (like liver and small chunks)

19. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Poor little girl! Glad she's ok though, and now home safe and sound. I've been thinking about her today. You must be very relieved :)

When Alfie had the root of his broken tooth out, he had scrambled eggs that night and the next day, and for the next week, until his stitches were out, I gave him minces and he had some wet food for a couple of meals too. I didn't give him any things he had to chew.

Give her a cuddle from me!

20. Lil Doglets

Thank you :) I'll stick to raw minces and cut up stuff and maybe some cooked chicken/egg/fish (not with the raw) as i'm running pretty low on raw minces atm

Thank you too :) am so glad it's over! Luckily Saturday is tinned fish day and Sunday is tripe mince and egg day :eek: so that should be good for first couple of days, she had cut up kidney and lamb mince tonight which was gone in about 5 seconds!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice