Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Talk to me about agility!!

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by grace88, Jan 22, 2018.

1. grace88

grace88 PetForums Junior

It has been a while!!

Used to compete with my collies a longggggg time ago...started to compete big spaniel but he has spinal disk disease and a heart murmur. Only found this out recently but it explains a lot! He only got to the training stage..never competed.

Now have a cocker spaniel who is 9 months old...I am out of touch with things like - height measures - last time I competed I had to have my girl measured before I could go in my class? and she got a life height book?

How does it all work now?

Where do I even start with my spaniel?

I know he needs to be 12 months + before he does anything strenuous. I do plan on teaching him left/right and lots of ground movements from now until 12 months +. hes a clever dog and needs to use that brain! (and i love and miss agility!)

Any pointers most welcome, I also have no issue waiting till 18 months + if thats better for joints!

2. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

Unless obviously large, which I very much doubt, your Cocker Spaniel will need to get an agility record book and get him to be measured before competing at a KC show from 15 months old and then a 2nd measure 1 - 2 years later. I would contact the club you wish to train with as many have long waiting lists, it took me 4 years to get Star a place and 2 years for Tayen, must put my unborn pup (due in the next couple of weeks) on the waiting list, to be fair the waiting list isn't normally that long, but I work some evenings, so couldn't take up some of the places, Star was offered 2 before I was able to accept one. Also, look out for puppy training days.

Wiz201 likes this.
  3. grace88

grace88 PetForums Junior

brlliant thank you!! where do i find local clubs?

KC site or is there any other sites?

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Just to clarify; 1st measure from 15 months but can't compete until 18 months old with KC. The second measure must be no less than 1 year and no more than 2. The measurers who did the first measure must be different from those that do the second.
    At UKA shows you can compete from 16 months (I think) in nursery classes where the dog jumps a height lower than their measured height. It's also 18 months for their standard competitions, though all their jump heights are lower than KC.
    There's a list of clubs here https://agilitynet.co.uk/clutch/clubs.htm which includes non-KC. You can sort by organisation.
    You'll find it different now. Courses are generally more complex than the straight up-and-down they used to be, even in the lower grades. Obstacles can now be no closer than 5m apart, and no further than 10m. There is now a 'matrix' from which course times are derived according to the measured length of the course; at the moment, judges can still decide the course time for themselves with the matrix as a guide, but there's a proposal to tighten the times and make it compulsory.

#4 Burrowzig, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Twiggy and Wiz201 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice