Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taking your children - insurance?

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by DogWalkingPeople, Jun 29, 2017.

1. DogWalkingPeople

DogWalkingPeople PetForums Newbie

If on the rare occasion I have to take my children (aged 4 and 7 currently) out on my dog walking rounds, are there any insurance implications. Are you allowed to do this, and what would happen if one of my children got injured by a dog?

What policies do you have in place for your own injuries?

2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

I wouldn't want my dog walker to be taking a couple of small kids with them. I would want my dogs to be getting full attention, that won't be happening with kids in tow. You'll lose clients due to unprofessionalism.

lorilu likes this.
  3. DogWalkingPeople

Thanks for your opinion but not what I was asking.

4. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

I know it wasn't, but I thought it would be helpful to point out.

In response to your question though, give the insurance company a quick ring and you'll get the definitive answer.

#4 Dr Pepper, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  5. joface

joface PetForums Member

[QUOTE.....and what would happen if one of my children got injured by a dog/QUOTE]

What do you mean 'what would happen'? They'd be hurt obviously? Do you mean who's fault would it be?

6. DogWalkingPeople

In relation to insurance. What protection do these dog walking policies offer to the policy holder, if any

This a hypothetical situation and one of many I'm trying to think of and sort out before launching.

7. joface

joface PetForums Member

OK, so public liability covers your legal liability to pay damages. So someone sues you & a court orders £x to them. This could be millions if eg a dog caused a car accident. You'd lose everything without insurance. Loss of keys is self explanatory, care, custody & control is like public liability but relating to the animals themselves.

If a dog in your care hurt someone, you could face criminal charges as well as being sued for damages. So if its your child, you can't sue yourself. I don't think insurance covers criminal proceedings either.

If you do decide its safe to take your kids, get written permission from the owners as if an otherwise friendly dog nips your kid coz they pulled its ear or something the owners could face a muzzle order on their dog or worse. And as others have said, ask you insurer, it may unvalidate your insurance, i think my policy says something about helpers needing to be 16 so that may apply. Taking kids along is not something I would do so ive never really thought about it tbh

#7 joface, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Dr Pepper likes this.
  8. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I would think all responsibility would be down to you personally.

I would never use a walker that took children with them on dog walks. You would have to disclose this to your clients.

joface, lorilu and Dr Pepper like this.
  9. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

I'd imagine you'd have to notify your insurers as it totally changes the whole dynamic of the job being done.

joface likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice