Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taking the plunge - buying my first house!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tigerneko, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

or at least, I am looking into it! I went to view a house today which I LOVE :D and I am going back again tomorrow so that my dad can have a close look at it - my parents are helping me massively (not financially - I don't expect/need a penny from them but i'm sure they will help me out a little just for their own peace of mind) but they are being the 'sensible' ones and the ones that can see all the flaws and faults in the house that I won't be able to.

So, does anyone have any tips for a first time buyer? I'm only young and I am gonna need all the tips I can get - whether it's saving tips, moving tips, help with bills - I would REALLY appreciate any advice you all have.

Wish me luck for this house because I really want it :D

2. Reverie

Reverie PetForums VIP

No tips because I haven't bought a house yet. :p Me and the OH plan to after the wedding. You must be so excited, well done you! Wish you the best of luck! :D

3. x PIXIE x

x PIXIE x PetForums VIP

How exciting, I am also looking into buying my first house. I'm looking at a new build but my only advice would be to follow your parents advice they know bvest ;) xx

4. Nagini

Nagini Guest

check out the neighbours is one;) :D
    change the locks after sale is completed (you never know if all the keys get handed in!!)
    use an independant surveyor and not one the estate agent recommends , i got caught out and badly burned on my first house purchase by going with a surveyor the estate agents recommended!
    look for slipped or missing tiles from the roof (new one is a massive expense!)
    cracks in the walls is another one , check the drains , and make sure no damp!
    and check the tenure , freehold is good!:)

5. metame

metame PetForums VIP

no advice but just wanted to say best of luck!

6. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

How exciting!!!!

My advice is listen to your parents views, follow the advice from diablo and try to let your head rule your heart :)

Oh and remember nothing is guaranteed until the whole sale is done and you have the door keys in your hand, we were gazumped at the last minute once, so bitterly disappointing.

7. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

Well done not an easy feat in this day and age for 1st time buyers.... My advice get a FULL STRUCTURAL SURVEY , more expensive i know but they do highlight problems that a bog standard mortgage survey wont , cracks in walls are'nt always a problem depends what type and how they run , i could chat about this all night lol ......

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

aww thank you for your advice - that is brilliant :) my mum and dad will deal with the main of the solicitors stuff - I will obviously be there for everything but i'll let them do all the talking and the official stuff, i'll just observe :lol: but i'll make sure I ask them about the surveyor :) as for the neighbours - i've been lucky with that one! My mum used to work with the chap that lives next door (it's a terraced house so I have a neighbour either side!) and the man that owns this house said that the person on the other side is a retired teacher so hopefully he will be no trouble :) we also asked about the freehold and luckily it is :) the seller is leaving all the major kitchen appliances too (he is moving in with his new girlfriend so doesn't need them!) so that will save me a fortune until I can afford to buy my own! My dad will probably look at things like the roof and the drains - he obsesses over things like that and he'll pick up on exactly what needs doing! I never thought to change the locks so i'll look into that if I get it :)

I am just slightly worried that i'll miss out, the house is an absolute bargain for what it is because the bloke just wants to sell it (obviously a survey might bring out some other reasons!) so i'm worried that someone else will snap it up before me, I haven't been approved for a Mortage or anything so need to sort all that out, and I can't get to the bank until Thursday, so im praying I don't miss out but I think I might :(

Yep, i'm definitely trying not to get too excited but I can't help it! I thought a bit like that when we were getting Mabel, I didn't let myself get excited until she was in the car on her way home with us :D but this is different, it is quite exciting - but mainly frustrating because I can't get to the bank to sort it all until the end of the week, and the wait is gonna kill me, i'm praying nobody snaps it up!

9. fierceabby

fierceabby PetForums VIP

Congrats! Me too! Should be moving in on 7th.
    It's a long post - but i will regurgitate all the tips I was given .... Here goes - check all doors and windows open and shut. Let interior doors go - if they swing open all the same direction poss subsidence if its in an old mining area. Run the upstairs taps to check water pressure, (My own tip from renting is keep an eye out for portable heaters - in my experience people use them to help damp issues rather than feeling the cold!!)
    Stick ur head up the loft and look for daylight - if daylight can get in so can rain.
    Make a stupid offer - you can offer more if it's rejected but you would find it impossible to haggle less once you've named a figure. If they accept make it a condition that it's taken off the market. Go back and maybe haggle for some appliances - we're getting a cooker, all the carpets and a lush welsh dresser :)
    Get an independant surveyor who is recommended by friends not the estate agent if possible. If you go ahead get a local real life solicitor you can chase rather than one from an online outfit - I've read some horror stories on the net!!!
    Also try reading through HousePriceCrash forum :) If you're getting a mortgage don't pay anyone until you have your offer in writing on that property just in case. Once you have your mortgage offer from the lender do not take any credit for anything. Our broker told us of a guy who had an offer in writing, bought sofas on credit for the new house and they withdrew the mortgage offer before he completed having credit checked again!!!! Might be a scare story but maybe good advice all the same....
    In light of the weather check the environment agency flood map...

Mainly...
    Good luck :) excited for you - keep us posted xx

10. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

thank you! I will look into all of that! I don't think subsidance will be too much of an issue because our area is all mills (in fact, there is 2 huge mills at the end of the street and the house backs onto a 3rd one :lol:) but I know it can be caused by all sorts of things so i'll watch out for it :) my dad will probably get in the loft tomorrow, he will check every inch of the building!

I will try and haggle them down, the house is on for Offers Over £45,000 - which is probably peanuts compared to a lot of places, but it's a nice little terrace, it needs a lick of paint but that is literally it - until we have the survey done at least. House prices are very low in my area (they are one of the lowest in the country) but £45,000 is nothing - other houses on the street have been on for £65,000 but he wants a quick sale - and I think he's gonna get one :lol

oh I can't wait! I wish I could show it off on here but obviously I can't post photos of my potential new address :lol: :lol:

11. dancemagicdance

dancemagicdance PetForums VIP

Best of luck :D

We had a lot of help buying our first house, we've had it for a year next month and there is nothing better than walking into a house that you know is your own! :D Decorating is fun too but I have a bit of advice on that, when you start something, finish it before you start something else! Sounds simple but we got a bit carried away and now every room is half finished and won't be done any time soon :rolleyes: Just pay attention to the home report and as other people said, see what you can have included like sofas and appliances and put in a low offer first. :thumbup:

12. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Wow good luck! My OH's best friend's small terrace was 140K :eek:

13. noogsy

noogsy PetForums VIP

Well done pet you will have saved and worked hard for your new place.take your time to find the right place x

14. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

This is the best thing about being up north! It might be grim but it's bloody cheap :tongue: :tongue:

15. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Going to view my potential house again at 12 today, I can't wait to see it again, I can't believe it could be mine :eek:

And my dad is VERY good at straight talking/doing deals with people so if the seller really does want a quick sale and is understanding (which he seems to be - the moment he realised the house was for ME and not for my mum, he started showing me everything he was gonna leave behind and how safe and secure the house is) then we may be able to sort something out - as long as they can give me a chance to get to the bank (I have my deposit in cash but need to be approved for the mortgage) then I WILL be buying this house, so hopefully we might be able to sort something out with them today, but I know it is a BIG ask - I am just worried about losing out on it, it's a fantastic house and if the survey shows there's nothing wrong with it then it's gonna be an absolute steal and I don't want an investor or landlord to get their gotty mitts on it!

16. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

Yes, you are in a strong position, go in and negotiate hard. If you don`t get it for the price you want, walk away. There will always be more. Always be prepared to walk away!

The estate agents are not your friends, they are acting for the seller and are aiming to maximise their commission.

The estate agents will try and steer you to certain financing and certain solicitors. Shop around, you can save a lot of money! Also remember saving £5000 on the asking price isn`t saving you just £5000, its saving you £5000 plus 25 years of interest on it!

#16 Sussexplumber, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  17. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I think we need some picturesssss :D

Hope it all goes well and just remember there are plenty more houses out there that people are desperate to sell if this isn't *the one* :)

18. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

That's me...30 months on and I still haven't got round to painting the spare bedroom door...or the door frame into the kitchen...oh and the outhouse door when I ran out of paint...:D

Sometimes when you live alone and have few visitors,the old 'Ill do it tomorrow' syndrome takes over. :001_rolleyes:

[​IMG]

19. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

But you do have an agreement in principle, yes?

#19 Sussexplumber, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  20. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I think the seller would be silly to turn me down - I am not in a chain as i'm just moving out from my parents house, he isn't in a chain either as he is moving in with his girlfriend so the sale would be a strong, and quick one with very little to go wrong. I'm willing to offer what he is asking (although obviously I will go in lower - he is asking for 'offers over £45,000' and that is the absolute most I can afford, I am gonna be cheeky and go in at 40,000 and hope he just wants a sale, but I will up it if he says no - but no further than 45 as I literally can't afford any more!!)

My mum is really into property and all this kind of stuff (I feel like I live with Kirsty Allsopp sometimes :lol:) and my dad is fantastic at picking out the structural/DIY problems of the house so I have got the best help I could possibly have with my parents, I am going to trust their judgements 100% and if they say the house is worth going for then I am going for it. It's literally around the corner from where I live now, so i'll be right near my parents, it's within walking distance to work which cuts out my travelling costs (except for when the weather is bad - i'll get the bus but it's only a quid or so, and also my mum works at the same place as me so i'll get a lift with her some days) so the house is ideal for me, but the if the seller really does want more than £45,000 for it, then i'll have to leave it. However - the estate agent has been very good to us so far and I don't think he would have recommended the property if he really didn't think the seller would take 45 for it as he knows I can't go any higher.

We will just have to wait and see, it's so scary :D :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice