Taking temperature of Labrador

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Kieranp0710, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

Hi.
    My lab is now on her 59th day and for the last 3 days that I have been taking her temp it has been around 37.5 to 38.1c wich converted into Fahrenheit isn't the 101 - 102 normal temp she is meant to be. I understand that on the last 12 - 24 hours it will have a drop but this has been low for around 3 days now and just abit confused. Anybody had this before? Should I try another thermometer ? Any advice is appreciated thanks

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Personally I would simply let her be. I have never worked by the temperature of our girls and to be honest we would only take it if we were concerned. I know others do so for me it's a personal choice. There are plenty of other more reliable signs in my opinion. She's not due for a few days anyway is she? Is she happy in every other way?

J

3. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

Thanks for your reply. She's due on Monday 11th but over the last day or so has gone so lazy and looks uncomfortable unless she's on her back. But other than that she seems herself. Yes I have just read other people don't really bother with temp neither so will probably just leave her to it now

4. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

Also she hasn't really touched her food in the last 12 hours anybody recomend lactol before whelp or just after as I've herd it can cause eclampsia but is that only in small dogs ?

5. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I personally wouldn't give her any Lactol yet. Only once she whelps and needs the calcium top-up to lactate. That's my choice. If she is choosing not to eat ...and it's quite natural ..then maybe some plain boiled chicken and of course plenty of water to drink. But she may just be uncomfortable as the pups are big and probably moving about.

J

6. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

I can see she really can't relax now but has eaten a bit since and had plenty of water. Yep there moving about alright I can see them at the under her rib cage. Thanks for the advice

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.