Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taking of a deaf dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alice Childress, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

I'm only really asking this out of curiosity more than anything, but I was wondering how difficult it is to have a deaf dog?

As some of you may remember I have spent the past year researching dogs and am hoping that this is the year when I finally bring one into my life :thumbup1: I have always planned to end up with two dogs and as a compromise decided to first home a breeders pup and then adopt a rescue in a few years. However, I've been looking on a rescue website for older dogs (as you do) and have fallen in love with a gorgeous boy on there. Realistically I am not in a position to offer him a home anytime soon so this is just me playing fantasy, but he happens to be deaf, hence my question.

2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Places like Deaf Dog Education Action Fund would be a good place to start. One of the key essentials is the use of hand signals which means the dog has to be aware of you. People often use vibration (not shock) collars to catch the dogs attention and these can be expensive. There is no reason from what I've heard that a deaf dog can't live a fully productive life as a member of the family providing you put the preliminary work in.

3. Cloud&JaysMum

Cloud&JaysMum PetForums Senior

My old boy has gone deaf in his old age ..... luckily though a lot of my training when he was younger I used hand signals as well as voice command..... which now has come in really handy..... the only problem I encounter is actually getting his attention :rolleyes: .... once he is looking at me I can normally get him to understand what I want him to do, not that he will always do as I ask as he is also very stubborn :skep: One of the hardest things is off lead walks ...... I have to ensure he is not let off when other dogs are about as he does tend to charge them and of course I can't recall him back ..... and I have to ensure I get his attention long before we reach the roadside so he is on the lead before we get there. Other than that he is quite happy in his own little world ...... things like fireworks and loud noises are no longer an issue with him :p

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I know of someone from a different forum who has 3 deaf and Visually impaired dogs, I can get her email for you if you would like to speak to her and see her training videos? I'm sure she'd love to help :)

5. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

One of my cavs was deaf but we didnt realise until she was over a year.As a puppy i thought she was a naughty girl refusing to recall then she learnt to follow Tasha my Leo. In agility sometimes she was brilliant other times really bad not doing turns just straight lines but again she learnt to watch me for body language.My friends daughter ran her in junior handling classes in agility and she did really well getting to Crufts for the final but unfortunalely she got confussed with all the lights etc and got eliminated but she loved going round the food stores getting treats.

6. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I'm quite taken to deaf dogs, I find it fun to work with them.

I've worked with several deaf dalmatians and one of those had passed his canine good citizen bronze, silver and gold award :thumbsup:

it's not that hard, the real job is when they are blind and deaf but yet people still manage that just as fine :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice