Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taking dogs temperature ?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Pegatha5, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Pegatha5

Pegatha5 PetForums Junior

Hi, my vet has asked us to take our dog’s temperature. We have a digital thermometer, which we are supposed to put in her bum. We have tried, but she gets stressed and wriggles loads and we can’t get it in! Any tips? (She is not distracted by treats so that doesn’t work!)

Also how long are you meant to leave it in (it’s digital... is it one minute?).

The advice also is to avoid any feces that might be in the rectum, but... erm... how can you tell...?!?!

(if anyone’s thinking why doesn’t my vet just take her temperature ... the problem is that whenever the vet does it, my dog always has a really high temperature. We think it’s simply because of how stressed she gets at the vet, but we need to be sure ... she’s meant to be spayed on Wednesday and they can’t do it unless they’re sure she’s not sick with something)

Grateful for any advice! Thank you

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

To avoid faeces, you put it in, and angle it towards the outer walls of the rectum (gently). Also a good idea to do it after she has defecated so you know shes had a clear out.

Ideally, you should use lubricant like KY jelly.

Lots of dogs hate it being done though, and sometimes its not worth the struggle.

You can get ear thermometers but i dont think they are quite as accurate as the rectal ones.

3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Vaseline or some other lubricant is essential. It also helps if you lift the dog's tail up and if there are two of you, one to hold the dog and talk/calm them and the other to do the dreaded deed.

You switch on the digital thermometer and wait for it to register zero before inserting it. You then have to wait until it gives a buzz or ring which tells you it's finished and has registered the temperature.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I never use lubricant and neither does the vet. Never had a dog object but then all mine are used to being handled all over. I just had to take one of my dog's temperature today, she was asleep on the sofa and did not really even notice. Do not jam it in quickly, work it in slowly, I think with a digital one you only put the tip in anyway but never used one so not sure. Unless she is about to do a poo there will be nothing there. If you are not used to doing it it is easier if someone holds the dog still, hold the head end with one hand and put an arm under the belly to stop her swinging round while the other person lifts the tail, susses out where it has got to go and gently touches the outside with the thermometer then slowly insert it.

5. Pegatha5

Pegatha5 PetForums Junior

Thanks everyone, I managed to get there in the end, it was easiest when she was lying in a certain position!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice