Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

taking cat's temperature

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Evurr, May 7, 2011.

1. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

Is there anyway I can work out whether my cat has a temperature.

She was fine when I went out earlier and now she is looking like she feels ill.

She's not bad enough for an emergency vet call yet I don't think but it would be helpful if I could tell if she has a temperature.

If the only way is with a vet thermometer then I'll order one for future attempts...

2. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

What makes you think she looks ill? You can use a normal thermometer and up the BTM it goes. Keep in mind that this is very uncomfortable for your cat, and can go a bit wrong sometimes with a wiggly cat. Best left for the vet if you have any concerns or doubts over doing it xx

3. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

she's only a year old and a little monkey normally. She didn't want her dinner (not normal for her) and she has been hiding in small places. Normally at this time she will be hooning around the lawn chasing bugs, she's just sitting in the grass. When I wiggle a leaf in front of her she is watching it but not pouncing like she normally would.

If she wasn't looking at it at all I'd be phoning the vets but she is so I'm guessing her tummy hurts but she doesn't have a temp.

Her ears are no hotter than Katie's and she is fighting fit at the moment.

4. fuzzymum

She may just be having a lazy day. Have you checked for dehydration? Also check her gums, press them, if the colour returns nice and quick then she is good, if it stays white then it would be like a human being pale. I wouldn't put her through the stress of sticking a thermometer up her bum just yet. Keep a close eye on her and if she takes a turn for the worse take her to the vets xx

5. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

thanks for the tips. Will wait for hubby to come home before checking her gums. It started raining so I scooped her up and put her on one of their beds. She's now doing the jelly mould "i feel like poo" stance.

They always have lots of water and she drinks regularly, can't see her stopping drinking under normal circumstances. How would I check for that tho?

6. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Could just be the weather.

Mine hasn't eaten much, if any, of his own food today - he has had a bit of mine and some wafer thin turkey :rolleyes:: and he's been a bit lethargic.

If your still concerned in the morning I'd be inclined to call the vets and just have a chat.

7. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

might be the weather have you had thunder. Mine haven't had much food and have been cuddling next to me on the sofa for most of the day.

8. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

no thunder here, but it is dark and muggy.

The other 2 are fine, running around like normal.

She's just had a tiny bit of tuna but didn't want any more. Being veggie I don't have stuff like ham in the house. I have some frozen coley (sp) that I can microwave for her if tuna is too strong....

I suppose I'm worried because the last time one of our cats looked like this he had a temp of 42!!! Scruffy doesn't look quite that bad and her fur is still fluffy, not going all bitty like Bryn's did.

Did I mention she was sick earlier, just bile, no food.

9. fuzzymum

to check for dehydration pull the skin up at her scruff to make a tent then let go. If the skin pings back to normal quickly then she is ok if it stays like a tent then then she is dehydrated. Keep a close eye on her, if she looks worse or continues to be sick then take her to the vets. It might be worth calling them to put your mind at rest xx

10. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

No you didn't mention she was sick. If she's sick and looks off colour and isn't eating then I'd ring the vets.

Could you get her some chicken and boil it up for her. I'm veggie so I know it's horrible but it did wonders for my poorly tummy cat.

11. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

thanks guys.

She seems to be on the mend. Just had a massive drink of water and is up and moving.

12. fuzzymum

Probably thirsty! Keep me updated please xx

13. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

she's made it upstairs and onto the bunk bed so I think she is getting back to normal. Still not really hungry but has drunk quite a bit.

I bet she's been out playing so much she forgot to come in for a drink... and there were no chance of puddles anywhere.

They do worry us don't they?

I'll let you know how she is in the morning.

Thanks guys.

14. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

hiya

just to update you all, Scruff is fine. I wonder if she ate a bad bug or something.

Thanks for answering questions and stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice