Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taking cats on holiday!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by flummery, Mar 29, 2011.

1. flummery

flummery PetForums Junior

My hubbie and I have got two 18 month BSH cats (kept indoors) and don't like the thought of leaving them in a cattery for a week while we go on holiday somewhere in England. So we are thinking of taking them with us! Has anyone done this themselves?

We were thinking we could find somewhere not too far from London (say max 2 hours drive) that is pet friendly on the basis that they may be happier to be with us, even if it did take them a while to adjust to new environment. But wouldn't want to do it if it's likely to cause them more distress than being in a cattery.

Be interested in any views on this idea. Know it wouldn't be perfect solution as cats won't like the traveling/new environment, but still think it might be nicer than the alternative. We have thought of a cat sitter but decided it wouldn't work in our current circumstances.

Thank in advance.

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I regularly travel with my little lady, and have done so with other cats I've owned, but it depends on exactly how stressed your two get with new situations. My girl is fine as long as I'm around with her for the first few hours, but other than that, she shows no signs of stress at all. She happily travels on trains on a harness and lead, and spends most of the journey making biscuits, purring, and generally getting a rather embarrassingly large fan club of the other passengers... Gone are the days when I could enjoy a book in peace when she's with me!

If you're going to do this I'd recommend trying to arrive at the new place in the late evening. I would also recommend bringing a previously used litter tray from home, as it will have their smell in there, and acts as a massive reassurance. Night time is good because it's when the cats are most active, but is also when the hotel or guest house is at its quietest. I usually sit up with my girl for about an hour, talking, playing and generally making her feel at ease. Then I get straight into bed and ignore her so that she can do her exploring undisturbed. Generally when I wake up on my first morning there, it's to find her stretched out on the bottom of the bed fast asleep. She's happy from that point on.
    Whatever you do, your cats will be subjected to a new environment, whether that's in a cattery or in a guest house. i don't know what others think, but I know with my girl, I feel she'd be much happier with someone she knows and trusts nearby her in that new environment, rather than living near to other, unknown cats, and only seeing strangers for a week. I do sometimes have to leave her in a cattery, but this is after all other options have been exhausted.

Hope this helps

3. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

Is there no one who could pet-sit for you while you're away? That way they will still be in their usual surroundings. I was just pet-sitting for my friend last week, she just gave me her keys and I came round every day to play with them and feed them.

4. ikoles

ikoles PetForums Newbie

Hello. I would take them to holiday. Last three holidays we spent in Wales (we live in Greater London) and our cats travelled with us. I take their litter tray, water and some food to the trip. It is not easiest jorney, especially the first hour, but they manage it. I don't have any problems with them during the holidays. Usually we rent a cottage and cants feels very comfortable there. I even take them for a walk on a lead.

5. amszephyr

amszephyr PetForums Junior

My two cats (8 and 2) commute with me between my (termtime) flat in Berkshire and (school holiday) cottage in Suffolk: they quickly settle in their carriers in the car and I've learned to leave the carrier liners in longer between washes so they smell familiar. Our cottage has nobody in it but us, so they don't have others' smells to contend with. If you're determined to take your cats with you (I'm not sure it's worth it for a week as cats can take a long time to feel happy in new surroundings) I'd definitely make sure you have favourite beds/cushions with you for a sense of familiarity.

6. flummery

flummery PetForums Junior

Thanks very much for replies, it's good to read we're not the only ones who would do this and reassuring to know that it can be fine. We would be looking to rent a cottage so it would be just us there. Good suggestion about taking familiar things (cat beds etc) along so they will feel more comfortable - would def do that.

Unfortunately a pet sitter wouldn't work for our situation, which is why we want to take the cats with us, as we think that would be better than a cattery.

Does anyone know of any pet-friendly cottages (or similar) to rent in the counties around London? Places like Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Cotswolds area?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice