Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taking care of stray cat and kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by rebecca:))), Jun 10, 2020.

1. rebecca:)))

rebecca:))) PetForums Newbie

15341F75-C870-434F-94CE-1C15C8A76069.jpeg 15341F75-C870-434F-94CE-1C15C8A76069.jpeg 292D08C8-4442-44EF-9C10-6E8C236354F6.jpeg 3861C15C-8B99-48F4-86CF-9EDB05FDB52E.jpeg 15341F75-C870-434F-94CE-1C15C8A76069.jpeg hi! on monday we found a stray cat and her kittens in my grandmas garage! the garage wasn’t very safe for the kittens and my grandma had been feeding her for a while so we were sure she isn’t someone’s pet so we decided the best action would be to house them with us. we’ve also asked neighbours to ask around too just in case!! so i was just wondering if anyone could help with advice on how long to keep them (i’ve read 8 and 12 weeks) and also how old they are! we estimated around 1-2 weeks maybe? because their eyes were open when we found them but they’re still taking really wobbly steps! also is it best to neuter them before we give then to their new homes, or leave to their owners?
    sorry for all the questions we’ve never raised kittens before! we got our own cat as an adult! (kept away from the babies! :))

Summercat likes this.
  2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Lovely relaxed looking Mama. I always love the proud mum roll they do :)

They need to stay with mum until at least 12 weeks and should be neutered before adoption, you should charge an adoption fee to cover that, pets shouldn't be given away for free.

How much do they weigh in grams? That'll give you a better idea on age but they look around 2 weeks.

rebecca:))) and Summercat like this.
  3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@rebecca:)))

Lovely looking mother and babies. Very nice of you to take them in.

I agree, don't give them away for free and explain the adoption fee covers the vaccinations and sterilization.
    Those are best to do before rehoming and reasonable to ask a fee to cover the cost.
    Cats and kittens given away for free, sometimes end up as bait for fighting dogs and other sad situations.

rebecca:))) likes this.
  4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Thanks for taking them in. Very pretty mother.

Although it seems unlikely, I'd get the mother checked for a microchip. They also will need worming, as will the mother. And don't let the mother out until she is spayed - she may well come back pregnant again. :(

rebecca:))) likes this.
  5. rebecca:)))

She’s very sweet! We’re hoping to find a home for her too (unless i can convince my family to keep her and a kitten haha)

Ah okay that sounds good! We have a few friends lined up to take them so hopefully they’ll accept paying for vaccines and stuff! As long as we can get them done with lockdown :)

We weighed them this morning! They weight 200, 210 and 180 g but our scales might slightly wrong. Also for the smallest one is 180 g okay? I’ve been trying to help latch because her brothers/sisters keep pushing her off! :(

6. rebecca:)))

Thank you! We won’t let her out until she’s neutered don’t worry! What age would you reccomend worming them?

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

This is iCatCare's advice:
    • Treat kittens for roundworms every 2 weeks from 3 weeks of age until 8 weeks of age, then monthly to 6 months of age
    • Treat adult cats (greater than 6 months of age) every 1-3 months

Panaur paste is often used for kittens, keep it in the fridge and squirt to the back of their mouths. I found it easier than the liquid as the dose is smaller - it's more concentrated. I ended up wearing the liquid!

Once they are eating, you can see if they will eat wet food with Panacur granules mixed in.

Panacur is available online or at Pets4Homes (more expensive) without a prescription. It's very, very safe.

gskinner123 and rebecca:))) like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice