Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taking away food.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by catz4m8z, May 12, 2010.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

What is the opinion on taking away food or putting your hand in your dogs food bowl? Do you do it or do you think twice before you attempt it??:D

I got thinking today coz I measured the kibble out abit wrong this morning so Hannah finished early and honed in on the other bowls. As Adam and Heidi still looked hungry but not enough to move Hannah I pushed her muzzle back as I scooped some kibble out and gave it to the other 2.:D
    At the time I dont think it occured to either me or Hannah that she could of bitten me for that!! I rarely go near their bowls (although I stand guard over Adam so he isnt pushed out) but the dogs all seem happy for me to take stuff from them.:thumbup:

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I wouldn't ever go and randomly put my hand in a bowl or take it away from any dog. If in the past I've ever wanted Roo's bowl (as in he's been a git and gone to eat it before I've put all his food in when its on the floor) then I ask him to leave it and step back. He does this willingly but I wouldn't want to take it without giving him some kind of warning, and he knows its because he hasn't waited or because I need to move it usually.

I think feeding from the hand is different and kind of teaches them hands are good? I think if you know your dog and its a pup etc you could then put a bit of food in quick from your hand whilst they are eating, but I still don't really like the idea and I didn't do it with Roo.

If I did it to Roo he would probably just look at me all confused and eat around my hand, but I don't think its a great idea for anyone to stick their hands anywhere near a dog's bowl if they've not done it before or don't know how the dog will react.

I did get bitten by a golden retriever when I was little once. I went up to stroke it whilst it was eating and it turned around and bit me. I was about 6 but it was a lovely dog and you would have never known it didn't like people being near it whilst it ate. I will admit I often fuss Rupert or check him over whilst he eats which perhaps isn't a good idea, I don't know. I would hope that because I haven't taken food away, that he doesn't think I will and hence doesn't mind me giving him a quick fuss or looking at his legs or whatever whilst he eats...

3. rona

rona Guest

I think it is always good if you can. My two wouldn't even think of reacting, though I used to have one that I would have to order away from the bowl before I touched it

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

We did what most people dont and instead of adding tasty treats to Zebs bowl as a puppy we took his bowl away and while holding it gave him a treat, we can take the bowls away mid-feed, add stuff to it, take stuff away, take things out of their mouths e.t.c if we need to without the worry of aggression

But they also have excellent "leave it" and "drop" so if i had any doubts i would use those first

5. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

See I'm a wimp and don't like to mess with a dog and its food which is why I'd always ask Roo before I took it. To be honest he does have a tendency still to instantly snatch at something when asked to drop it once in a while so we probably still have a bit more practice on that to go! Its not malicious he just appears to suddenly change his mind about handing things over.

I think I'll probably always give him warning before I do it though even if its just saying his name so he knows I'm there, I'm OTT, lol!

6. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

skye wouldnt ever snap at me for taking her food away.

its not something i would usually do though. though i am forever having to scoop kody away from skyes bowl as he sticks his face in it whenever he gets a chance.

7. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

We taught Chazz from when we first got him that if we wanted we would take his food. He is fine with it. We can also take bones and treats away. His drop it command is very good.

Havent tried Missy yet. But will now that you mention it. I think it is important to be able to take food away. What if you are out and they find something they shouldnt have but wont drop, then you have to take it away. Also with Alfie, even though we make it very clear to him he is NEVER allowed to touch the dogs when they are eating, there are sometimes he forgets or is just abit silly. I would prefere that they dont react at all or growl at him if they are going to rather than biting instantly. So for me its important. :D

8. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

This is one of the first things I teach any dog or puppy that comes to us. I've never had a problem taking food out of their bowls or their mouth for that matter.

If you have children, especially young children or there are young children that might visit, it's vital to be sure that the dog is ok with a hand being near their mouth when eating.

It's not just food and treats that I teach this with either, it's toys, sticks, socks etc... whatever a dog is prepared to put in it's mouth.

9. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

No problem here. I do it regularly, adding yummy bits to the fodo so she sees my intervention as a good thing.
    Nelson would let me take anything away from him but not anyone else. I guess because I'd taught him not to see me as a threat.

10. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

with millie i regularly stick my hand in her bowl - telll her to back off and take it away

purely so she respects me (she has never ever growled or anything btw)!

11. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I always have been taught to leave any animal be whilst they are eating. i wouldn't like someone to take my food whilst i was halfway through eating it, so i don't expect my animals to except it either. any children that came over to my house would be kept out of the room where the animal was feeding and taught that no animal should be disturbed when eating. i occasionally walk over to ollie when he's eating, just passing by and he looks at me and wags his tail and i give him a little pat on his back, just so he knows my intentions are not to take his food. I don't think he ever would bite or growl if i had to take his food away from him, but i certainly don't practice it.

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont take their bowls/food away, but i could if i wanted too.

I regularily put my hand in their food. They both have tablets they like to eat around, to i will stick my hand in and mix things up so that they eat them.

I can take anything from my boys, even fresh bones. Most nights i have to stick my fingers down Oscar's throat to fish out something.

13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I don't take their bowls away when they are eating but there isn't one that I wouldn't be able to do it with. That is probably with the exception of Zoe who is so greedy and eats so quickly that theres no way you could take the bowl before she has finished eating.

I can also take bones of them when they have them.

14. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

with pogus..... i have from day one took his food mid feed, we then give him the sit command and the wait command, then we say ok.

he doesnt bat an eyelid at all and i will continue to do this with him.

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I am now able to take away Luna's food without complaint. A few months ago she would have torn my hand off.

I think you have to individually judge the dog. Sky and Candy have always been fine with me taking their food off them and even letting me put my fingers in their mouth if they get something stuck in their teeth.

Luna is a guarder though and I definitely wouldn't have dived in head first without going through the training I did with her.

16. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Its funny how I didnt even think about it til afterwards despite the fact I normally erspect the pooches private dinnertime!:rolleyes:
    Althogh they are pretty good and will let you take stuff and a sharp AH_AH! noise will stop them eating anything that falls on the floor. Im glad they arent fussed coz Im really not a very good dog trainer!LOL:D

17. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Why would anyone want to take food away from a dog once it has been given? Our dogs know we are their providers and are, therefore, not possessive about their food especially with regards to us. My husband often pretends to eat from their bowls whilst they're feeding and they appear to be amused by his actions. They often share each others food and exchange bones if they think that the marrow in the one they have has been exhausted to the full. :rolleyes:

18. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

I do it because i just always have lol.... i dont like food posessive dogs. never have any of ours been funny about food. can take anything out of her mouth - normally stick my fingers down her throat to retrieve a chew thats too small anyhow.... so not being able to do that could mean my dog chokes....

19. maizie0_0

maizie0_0 PetForums Member

I didn't even think about this! Is this something I should start doing when we get Elsie home?

20. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I don't, but I wouldn't have any problem doing so.
    My pair are not food aggressive atall, they eat right next to eachother and I quite frequently go right up to them to scrape some extra bits in the dishes.

Or if someone had some food left on there plate and I was being lazy to get the dishes Id give it to Dixie first then take it away and give the rest to Dave.

But- my son I teach that he does NOT go near the dogs while they are eating, not because I dont trust them, but because it is just common sense.

I can take raw bones off my pair - I do have to do because they bring them back inside ewww and wont take them out again. I have grabbed food out of Daves mouth including chicken bones and burger wrappers he doesnt care if you give him a consolation prize Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice