Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taking a puppy to France

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by c14swl, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c14swl

c14swl PetForums Junior

Hi
    I am just writing this thread about my experience of taking a new puppy to France as when I was on google searching for information I could not find any posts about what I needed to know.
    We have a house in France and were due to go for a month at the end of July.
    Unplanned we had a puppy 2.1/2 weeks before leaving that had only had his first injection. I knew you could travel with a pet but had no idea of the in and outs. When I first rang a vet they said he would need to have had all his injections along with a rabies injection to get a passport. I was like great lets get it done and they said he would not be able to gain re-entry into the uk until 21 days from the date of rabies injection had passed. this was fine as we were going for 1 month. 7 days before travel and 5 days into Marley having his rabies injection another vet told me that they could not leave the UK for 21 days either!!!!!
    I rang DEFRA and they confirmed this. So I did not know what to do as I did not want him in Kennels as he was just a baby at 14 weeks old.
    I searched the ferry companies websites they only said on re-entry nothing at all about leaving the UK. In the terms and conditions of pet travel with the companies it was not mentioned at all.
    I searched the net on info on what the French think about pets leaving the UK before the 21 days have passed and found that they don't in force it as the UK no longer has rabies. So rightly or wrongly I tried to get info on if my pet would be checked leaving the UK and could I get him out of the port I was going from. I could not find out anything so took the risk of going to the port and seeing what happened with a back up plan of somebody fetching the puppy from the port and driving him back to a friend in Burton should he not get through.
    We travelled on this occasion from Newhaven to Dieppe on Transmarche (LD Lines/P&O)
    I was hypo ventilating when they asked to see all the passports including Marley's. They looked at it briefly then gave it me back! they did not check his microchip or the dates of his injections and off I went.
    He had to have a tapeworm treatment before coming back to the UK but the re-entry was easy, they checked his chip and rabies jab and did not even ask about any other injections it took about 2 mins to check him in.
    So this post is for anybody else who finds themselves in this situation or maybe you were late on the rabies booster and have to wait 21 days again!
    There are no checks leaving with LD Lines, Transmarche or P & O from Portsmouth, Newhaven or Calais!
    He has now been with us 3 times he likes a long weekend in the Loire! ha ha
    Sorry if I have offended anybody for taking my pet out when I shouldn't but the ferry companies do not state it is a requirement on their sites :smile5:

2. MariaB

MariaB PetForums Member

I thought you were right about this but after further research.
    https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners#countries-and-territories
    21 day wait

From 1 January 2012, there is a wait of 21 days from the date of the first rabies vaccination before a pet can enter or re-enter the UK if you are travelling from an EU or a listed non-EU country.

I thought it was only a non-EU country. I live in southern France and I took my puppy over the border into Italy about a week after his rabies shot. That was legal because the Italians don't have the same restrictions the British have.

Its quite worrying that passport control didn't understand how to read a dogs passport or did they ask you when you were re-entering? The 21 days is presumably because the dog could still contract rabies during this period and you could of brought rabies into the country on re-entry. I don't know how this 21 days works and what its for. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

#2 MariaB, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I know plenty of people who've left the UK and entered mainland Europe with no passport or with young pups who've not had jabs but I know of a hell of a lot who've had problems going back to the UK because the dates of jabs and microchip in the passport aren't right or because something isn't filled in correctly in the passport. It's the entry to the UK that is generally the problem, not leaving the UK. Ruperts passport wasn't even checked on the way from Ireland to Germany.

4. MariaB

MariaB PetForums Member

We are taking our dog to the UK early next year for a family wedding. I feel more than happy that his passport will be in order and that he's up to date with everything.

Personally I'm glad that the UK are so thorough.

5. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Thank you. OP, I'm sure you meant well, but we have these restrictions for good reasons and it is really no call to be smug about beating the system. We are the only country in the world, I believe, that is completely free of rabies and there is nothing clever about spoiling that.

Please think before you upset regulations that are there for the safety of all animals, not just yours.

6. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

You got lucky this time, very lucky, because if you'd got caught you'd of been in trouble and your pup would have spent his first 6 months of his life in quarantine :mad:

Glad you find it funny. I do hope you get caught, I pity your dog when you do, but people like you are the reason other peoples dogs get ill.

Totally irresponsible I personally hope your smug dangerous attitude comes back and bites YOU in the arse.

I would advise others not to be this irresponsible and personally don't think this post should be allowed to stay in public viewing.

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I'm confused, I thought the pup was legally able to re-enter the UK since they were going for a month? We were told there was no requirement for the 21 day wait to travel from the UK to mainland Europe, it's going the other way that has the strict rules.

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My IG's breeder has just moved to France and her dogs were all checked as she left the UK, not to see if their normal jabs were up to date but to see if they had been fleaed, wormed and done for rabies. That was going over on the train. When she took a couple of her dogs over just for a week before she moved she said they were thoroughly checked again. She has told me this as we are planning to go over to visit next year with some of the dogs.

She had to wait 21 days after the rabies jab before she could travel with the dogs and they did check to see if it was more than 21 days. She even had to take a letter from her vet to say one of her whippets was fit to travel as she has a problem with one of her front legs the bone is disintegrating and they cannot amputate because as a result of SRM when she was younger whiich took months to diagnose as it was before it was well known in dogs she is a little wobbly on her legs and the vets thing she would struggle to balance without the leg.

#8 Freyja, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  9. MariaB

MariaB PetForums Member

It doesn't actually say on the Gov.net website that you can't take the dog out of the country before 21 days, just that you can't bring it back within 21 days. This of course makes no sense at all because if you take a clean dog to (lets say) Italy from the UK before the 21 days, can that dog still contract rabies? (we need a vet to answer this). If it can't catch rabies during that 21 day period then why is there a restriction? and why only the restriction for entry/re-entry to the UK.

It used to be (up until recently) that you had to have a blood test 30 days after the rabies inoculation to make sure the dog was properly immune. This has now been dropped for all EU countries.

We have had Jaques immune tested which came out positive. In France this cost us 75 Euro but I have been told that in England its way more expensive. I do however, believe this is an important test. I have two friends who both had their dogs re-tested and found they had no antibodies.

I wonder if the 21 day re-entry is so they can test the dog at the port if they deem it necessary and if the dog has no antibodies its quarantined.

I don't think the op did anything wrong as far as British law regarding exporting and importing animals is concerned except, rather than find out the finer details, she tried to get her dog through customs without understanding the law. In other words she was willing to break the law (or so she believed) to take the dog on holiday and is advertising that others. can do the same

10. MariaB

MariaB PetForums Member

Bumped because it would be nice to have an answer to the 21 day rule.

11. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

My experience on Eurotunnel was that the checks were less strict ( non-existent ? ) on the way out. But.. I would think that the rules which apply would be down to the destination country... which is why it can be more difficult to get the dog back in. When we were checking Dief back in the people at the next counter were having trouble because their worming stamp had the previous days date but not the time so they couldn't prove greater than 24 hours.

This is what the French Consulate appears to have to say.. and given that I think you were lucky.

Importing animals into France - France in the United Kingdom - La France au Royaume-Uni

12. c14swl

c14swl PetForums Junior

according to DEFRA it is UK law that a pet must not leave the UK until 21 days has passed and they said the laws of other countries to not apply as they are saying it cant leave! as the friendly lady told me on the phone!!! haha

13. c14swl

c14swl PetForums Junior

Sorry I was not aware I was being smug! I was just informing others of my situation should they find themselves in it. But thanks for pointing out the obvious! I can see you are probably passionate about this so perhaps your time would be spent better contacting the ferry companies and telling them they should update there websites with the correct information :D

14. c14swl

c14swl PetForums Junior

A typical pet forum member who loves to bite at a thread and insult people, you must be so proud of yourself!
    He did not re-enter the UK until the 21 days has expired. The French don't have a problem as we have no rabies. Oh by the way this irresponsible pet owner paid 50 euro for a full medical check which I did not need to do :D
    get caught? perhaps look back and read properly! he can travel as much as he wants now as 21 days has passed!! so get off your high horse and read things properly :D

15. c14swl

c14swl PetForums Junior

Yes its people not reading things properly! He was legal on re-entry but the uk don't want them leaving before even though other the other EU countries say its ok

16. c14swl

c14swl PetForums Junior

Yes I understand these rules but as I said in my original post the French do not perform such thorough checks when leaving the UK as we have had no cases of rabies in years. Also as I said rightly or wrongly I did take my pet out but if I had not been chatting with another vet before we were due to leave I would have been non the wiser!! the first vet said all was ok!

17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

As a moderator on this forum, I have far too much to do making sure that misinformation does not find its way to the public and keeping a watchful eye on troublemakers and threads started in order to cause an argument.

Congratulations - another thread of yours closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice