Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taking a puppy camping

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SarahMoorhouse, Jun 15, 2010.

1. SarahMoorhouse

SarahMoorhouse PetForums Newbie

Hi

Does any one have any advice re taking a puppy camping, looking for advice/experiances along the lines of sleeping arrangements.

We are going away in September for a week (renting a cottage) and taking our border collie with us but I would like to get a couple of trips in before hand so he is used to staying away over night in a strange place.

Thank you

Sarah

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

How old will your BC be?

We have taken Holly once, when she was 6 months, we have a 4 man tent, and we just set up her crate in one corner, and she slept there with plenty of blankets, and a blanket on top of her crate. We have also taken her to a couple Sun holidays, so either caravan or lodge, and same arrangement, she is crated, but in housing she is crated in the living area, or bedroom. We always left her in the car, until we were all unpacked and ready, then we would let her in and she would have a sniff around, then settle somewhere. We normally put throws or blankets over furniture for her to sit on :D

3. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

we're off camping up Loch Ness this wkend with our 7 mth old malamute,

so we'll let you know all the things that go wrong and hopefully how to avoid them :lol:

4. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Take a crate that isn't too inconvenient for you, safer for the dog and you and the property you are staying in :)

If you haven't used one then this is an opportunity to start the puppy used to one.

We go away in the motorhome and use a small crate, once the puppy is too large for that at night (when they sleep anyway) they are usually well enough behaved to allow out at night.

We were away last weekend and will be again next at shows with a 13/14 week old puppy so have also taken a bigger crate to use during the day for her safety as we are out and about and busy so can't easily keep an eye on her if she is on a lead and the sleeping one is a bit wee for daytime. She has been very happy and not phased by it at all, slept through a thunderstorm!

5. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I would agree with the crate option.

To me its one of the main benefits of having a crate trained dog. Oscar always sleeps wherever we go, he is never freaked out therefore we can take him anywhere.

Also it is good when you are camping with a pup to have somewhere safe you can pop them just for a break as they don't always like being on the lead all the time :)

6. leoti

leoti PetForums VIP

We go camping with four collies the youngest been 7 months old they love it , we do take there crates as its safer to have them in there crates at night , i also take tie out stakes for them so that they can be out on there ties in the day when were at the tent

7. SarahMoorhouse

SarahMoorhouse PetForums Newbie

He is currenly 15 weeks so by the time we went would probably be about 20 weeks. During the day when we are at work he is put away under the stairs (not as scary as it sounds it is a large area, which you can walk in) so I think he will be ok in a crate.

8. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

If your tent hasn't got a sewn in groundsheet then I would definitely use a crate in case he gets out during the night.

We intend going camping this summer, at home Monty sleeps in with us so the same will happen when we are camping, I'm going on the theory that his body heat will keep me warm ... I'm a freezer :p

I'm also going to invest in some windbreaks so that he doesn't need to be clipped onto the stakeout thingie all the time.

9. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I'd really recommend crateing, as a lot of others have.

The beauty of it is that I know when we take Rupert anywhere, he will settle in his crate over night, no matter where it is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice