Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

taking a dog on a long journey

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Eithne, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

Molly will be going to ireland on our first holiday in a couple of weeks and I was looking for some advice regarding travelling.

We will be on the road for approx 12 hours (including 3 hours on the boat). I have bought her a safety harness for the car which she is currently getting used to and is out with me in the car most days so I know she travels well, but I am worried about the boat. I don't know whether to leave her in the car or put her in one of the kennels available on board. Has anyone done a similar journey? If so any tips?

Thanks

2. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

I thought it was possible to take your dog with you on board? It's certainly the case with CalMac (and some of their crossings are well in excess of 3 hours). There are some restrictions where you can go, of course, like the restraunt areas, but most of the areas are accessable. It may be worth checking it out.
    If it's not possible to take them on deck, I'd prefer to leave my dog in the car rather than in a strange kennel. There may be a lot of other dogs barking/whining around which can be unsettling, too. Is he OK to be left in the car? If so, and you can't take him with you, that's what I'd do.

Good luck and enjoy Ireland!!

3. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

With stena its the car or the kennels. I am swaying towards leaving her in the car as its familiar and insulated some. what from the noise.

4. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I would check the weather conditions before making a decision. If the area where the cars are parked is hot it could be dangerous leaving your dog in the car.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice