Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Taiwan bans dog & cat meat // new, strict laws to prevent animal abuse

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by leashedForLife, Apr 28, 2017.

1. leashedForLife

Taiwan has never had a huge market for dog or cat meat - however, the ban plus the strict animal protection laws should send a strong message to other Asian countries [China, VietNam, Cambodia, Thailand...] where dog or cat meat is considered either a gourmet item, or an everyday menu.
    http://www.accessatlanta.com/lifest...tion-dog-and-cat-meat/NHmiAwXbL6CfDmxmkf2rBL/
    Quote,
    "Under this updated version of Taiwan’s animal protection law, those found guilty of deliberately harming animals can receive a maximum penalty of two years in prison plus a fine equal to $65-K. Those caught selling or consuming dog or cat meat will face fines up to $8-K.
    Additionally, their photos and names will be publicized, along with their crime, as further punishment. Another amendment added a fine of up to $500 for those found pulling their animals along on a leash from a car or motorcycle.

This legislature coincides with the country’s changing attitude towards pets. While Taiwan has never had a widespread issue with dog & cat meat consumption, the country did see a large number of animal abandonments several decades ago.
    Now, as the birth rate declines, Taiwan citizens focus their love, energy & money on their pets. Taiwanese pets now have some of the best legal protections in all of Asia."

FAW56, Charity and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

We dined at a Cambodian restaurant a couple of nights ago and, to be quite honest, the food wasn't all that bad.:)

MrsZee had the ginger catfish on a bed of rice with vegetables and I had the spicy meatballs with rice. (no chips then?)

We shared dishes of course, as one often does when one is often out, but I wasn't too keen on the catfish and MrsZee thought the spicy meatballs were the dog's bolox!;)

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

They do have different tastes and culture to us. My daughter spent 3 months in south east Asia and tried a lot of different foods including rat! So long as the animals are reared and killed humanely I am fine with other people eating dog or horse or rat but the problem is that it is not done humanely. My daughter also did a week helping at an elephant sanctuary that also rescued dogs so she saw that side of it too. Brilliant that Taiwan is clamping down on things

4. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Blitz said it well - as long as it's done humanely, there's really no difference between different types of animals being used for food.

This news is more interesting because of the anti-cruelty aspect - hope it makes a difference!

lullabydream and Blitz like this.
  5. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

I think banning the cruelty needs to happen. However I have nothing against eating cats and dogs. I wouldn't do it and think of them as companion animals, but unless one is a vegan I don't see how they can judge someone else for the animals they eat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice