UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive just got back from the vets! I feel sick!

Tails has her bowels full of water! I had a massive £103 bill to pay for what i thought was just diarrhea! The examination cost £28 then she had an injection of Cerenia at £17.48 then an injection of Synulox £9.67 then a course of synulox tablets for a week £18.07 then protexin pro kolin gel £16.30 and has been put on ID canine Hills food £5.24

The vet thinks she has a very sensitive stomach so got to see how she gets on with this lot!

To make things worse i now have a bad back due to being pulled around left right and centre by tails (teach me for taking both dogs with me when it was the first proper walk since Tails bedrest and that made her very excited) and in the vets she was jumping around behind me and managed to tie both my hand up and the run in from of me causing me to fall on the floor like a sack of potatoes in front of the vet!! :crying:

I knew i just knew something wasnt right with her!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Sorry the poor girl has gone through this, and you as well. Hope she will be OK once the meds start to work and your back gets better soon.
A bad back can be very depressing.

Get well soon both of you

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, i hope the meds help quickly to, i hate seeing her poorly! Its left us rather out of pocket this week having such a large bill as we had some money trouble a couple of weeks ago and still picking up pieces.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Fingers crossed this all makes your poor pup better I think you must feel very relieved that they did find something wrong. The only way now is up. Did you kiss the vets feet when you were down on the floor:001_tt1:

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Oh dear, I remember when I was trying to get the bottom (no pun intended) of Daisy's bowel issues, It was so frustrating. I lost count of the number of nights I was woken up by a nasty smell and have to crawl out of my warm bed to clean up:(

It did get better though, and I found that Pro Kolin paste was cheaper online and Chappie was a lifesaver :)

All the best and hope Tails feels better soon x

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh dear, I remember when I was trying to get the bottom (no pun intended) of Daisy's bowel issues, It was so frustrating. I lost count of the number of nights I was woken up by a nasty smell and have to crawl out of my warm bed to clean up:(

It did get better though, and I found that Pro Kolin paste was cheaper online and Chappie was a lifesaver :)

All the best and hope Tails feels better soon x
Ive slept on the sofa already so many times for her! Up at 2.30am cleaning carpets and doing loads of washing, i hate seeing her like this just want her to be happy and healthy!

Fingers crossed this all makes your poor pup better I think you must feel very relieved that they did find something wrong. The only way now is up. Did you kiss the vets feet when you were down on the floor:001_tt1:
Haha no it wasnt the good looking one today.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Poor you and Tails. Hope she feels better but stays quiet while your back recovers ( did I hear you say some hopes!!) Hope you've got enough loose change left for a packet of ibuprofen (if you can take anti- inflammatories safely). Oh and thanks for helping me put off the ironing for another few minutes while I write this,

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Bless her, just a heads up on the hills food if its the id one we had zelda on that and she has the softest yukkiest poops and was always hungry. when you pull back the label to find the hidden ingredients it is 73% water!

we had zelda on that for 1 week then changed to naturediet and she has the best poops, no hunger, no sickness and much happier and lively.

Good luck with her - just seems strange they have put her on a high water diet when water was the problem.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Poor you and Tails. Hope she feels better but stays quiet while your back recovers ( did I hear you say some hopes!!) Hope you've got enough loose change left for a packet of ibuprofen (if you can take anti- inflammatories safely). Oh and thanks for helping me put off the ironing for another few minutes while I write this,
I agreed with the vets to pay most of it and pay £34 on friday when we get paid. That left us with about £20 to get bits we might need, like tomorrow is harvest day and we dont have any tins in the cupboards to give to school so had to go out and buy some. Ive got some ibuprofen in the house from when OH hurt himself the other weekend.

Bless her, just a heads up on the hills food if its the id one we had zelda on that and she has the softest yukkiest poops and was always hungry. when you pull back the label to find the hidden ingredients it is 73% water!

we had zelda on that for 1 week then changed to naturediet and she has the best poops, no hunger, no sickness and much happier and lively.

Good luck with her - just seems strange they have put her on a high water diet when water was the problem.
Its the Hill's Prescription i/d canine, gastrointestinal health. She is on it for a week then to see what happens, if the vets want to put her on something else or let her go back to what she was on. I have informed OH we might end up on the expensive stuff he didnt want to pay for the first time round :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Thats the same one zelda was on and when you peel the label back its 73% water so hardly any food.

the naturediet i get on swellpets 54 trays for £39 zelda has 1 tray a day and she is 9kg so i expect tails would eat less its not that expensive..

im just sooo glad we tried it she is healthier than she has ever been and she was very sick, we were at one point told she might not make it through the night.
our vets was the same and encouraged us to keep her on the id long term - after reading the lack of real food in it i decided otherwise and im sure vets will always try and get them to stay on the food they sell - commision ching ching!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats the same one zelda was on and when you peel the label back its 73% water so hardly any food.

the naturediet i get on swellpets 54 trays for £39 zelda has 1 tray a day and she is 9kg so i expect tails would eat less its not that expensive..

im just sooo glad we tried it she is healthier than she has ever been and she was very sick, we were at one point told she might not make it through the night.
our vets was the same and encouraged us to keep her on the id long term - after reading the lack of real food in it i decided otherwise and im sure vets will always try and get them to stay on the food they sell - commision ching ching!
I did wonder if they were doing it for the money to as it doesnt seem to be full of much good stuff really, will see how she gets on with it. If it is her diet then that leaves me back to square one as to what to feed and do i set both dogs up on the same diet or do i need to have them different

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
We found nature diet very good for Rory. It is a complete food so its a matter of try it and see, it comes in small pouchy things so not a huge outlay to find out if its any good, however its not the cheapest food on the market so you might want to keep Bruno on something else if he is happy on it.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
we just bought a few from pets at home and tried her on it she loved it and didnt upset her at all, we keep grizz on james wellbeloved as hes setlled on that and being a 50kg dog would need 5 trays a day which is too expensive.

def worth trying her on it its made of just meat, vegtables and bone no nastys.

would give her 5-7 on the id but it will make her poop loads and she might seem a bit low, zelda was but i guess somthing mainly water doesnt give a lot of energy.

poor little thing x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.