Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tail

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by littlekitty, Jul 22, 2009.

1. littlekitty

littlekitty PetForums Senior

Buddy came in this morning and as hubby was stroking Buds back end he started hissing and growling, so I thought that hubby had pulled his tail by accident.
    Buds has just come down now and I attempted to stroke him near his tail and he hissed and growled again and has now gone out. His tail is usually up but is now limp so not sure if he has broken it or has an injury. Am going to get him to the vet's tomorrow as it is now shut.

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Hope he is okay!

3. littlekitty

Just back from the vet and am upset as I have a decision to make.
    I asked her to xray his tail but she said it wouldn't tell me anything else other than what we know, she thinks he may of been clipped by a car or got it caught in something. No sign of an abcess just a hard lump in the middle of tail. She again examined the tail, whilst Buds was being a grump, and she asked if their was any movement in it and I told her that there wasn't from the middle to the tip, so she said I can either leave it for a while to see if it will heal or have his tail taken off. I was given the consent form to sign but I couldn't do it so I asked OH what he wanted to do and he said leave his tail alone.
    Am heartbroken as Buds seems to be in pain when I touch his tail, and don't want to see him like this, and don't want his tail off either, so don't know what to do for the best, as he seems happy enough and eating properly until you touch his tail.
    He has his booster in 4 weeks time so if it hasn't improved then I will have to make the decision to remove the tail.

4. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

I think cats get along ok without a tail, there is a huge boy near us that only has about 3" stump of tail and it doesn't seem to hamper him in any way. I'd be worried about infection setting in, also if its not a tidy break you risk scar tissue etc forming which could all lead to bigger issues later on. He might look a bit silly and I'm sure it will take him a while to get used to it but I am also sure he will be fine with no tail, just no tight rope walking!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Cats cope extremely well without a tail.

If its causing him pain and discomfort it really should be dealt with sooner rather than later.

6. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

I totally agree with this...

I know it's a tough decision to make, but if he's in pain (which he obviously is) I would choose for the operation.
    A friend of mine has got a cat with no tail (was run over by a car) and he is now doing just great ....

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

When i worked as a nurse i saw a couple of tail amputations, and the cat acted no differently. They adapt extremely quickly, and learn to compensate when it comes to balance.

Littlekitty, if my dog can cope with just 3 legs, trust me, your cat will be zooming about in no time showing off his fancy little stump.

8. littlekitty

We are taking Buds to the animal hospital tonight at 6.30 for a second opinion and if they feel the need for an xray then that's what we'll do, and if their opinion is the same as my own vet then he will lose his tail.
    He hasn't been given any medication for the pain, don't why she didn't give him anything. We don't want to leave him to long in pain so hope we get answers tonight.

9. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I agree that the tails needs to come off.

It does sound like he has broken it in which case he will be in a fair bit of pain.

Don't forget that cats hide pain very well so when you think he is fine he could well be suffering.

10. littlekitty

Back from the hospital and the vet gave him two injections to get him through the night, and he is going back tomorrow at 9am to be xrayed and sedated so they can investigate further. She said that there is swelling to the top of the tail, and that he has some movement at the bottom also, so once the xray has been done we will then found out if he keeps or looses his tail. Keeping our fingers crossed that he keeps it and if so he will be getting medication tomorrow.
    Buds actually ate all his food tonight, first time in days he's eaten a full meal, so the injections must of done the job, just got to try and keep him in tonight, he's in my son's room at the moment.
    For two injections and consultations it cost me £41. Don't know what an xray will cost plus meds.
    The hospital is dearer than my usual vet, but if she'd done all this today then we wouldn't of had to put him through another examination

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats good news. He sounds much more comfortable.

I hope it goes well tomorrow.

12. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Glad you've had some good advice & a more thorough examination. One of my rescue cats only has half a tail (maybe a bit more than half) & he's fine apart from being a bit clumsy, but to be quite honest, he's that sort of cat - I don't think the rest of his tail would have made him any less clumsy, lol!! :eek:hmy: Because Buds is in a lot of pain, I don't think I'd think twice about him losing his tail & they adapt so quickly too. He'd probably just be so relieved to be out of pain he wouldn't notice it! Good luck tomorrow xx

13. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Poor little Buds. I hope the injections keep him comfortable for the night, good news that he ate.
    He really will be fine without his tail, my friend has a cat called Stumpy, you can guess what's coming...he had to have his tail amputated. He has been without it for years and is no different to any other active cat. It is quite funny when you see his little stump moving, I guess just like with human amputees, it still feels as though it's there.
    Good luck for tomorrow. If he loses it, do not worry, he'll be fine :)

14. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

Oooh! Poor Buds! Hope he's better soon with or without his tail. My cat is fairly clumsy and heavy footed with her tail...don't think the tail would make that much difference to him really...animals seem to be able to adapt quite well to situations like this...the main thing is that he is pain free! Bless him! :)

15. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Poor thing! Hope it all works out ok. For what it's worth, a friend's cat had an encounter with a car, ending up with her (the cat, not the friend) having her tail amputated. She recovered just fine, seems to have no problems in the slightest, and is every bit as lethal in play - and with prey!

Her name is Pumpkin, but now she's more often called stumpkin I think :smilewinkgrin:

16. littlekitty

He's home, with tail intact, apart from a ring of fur missing around it. We saw the xray and it seems to be a cat bite between the vertebre(sp) of the tail bone which has swollen the muscle. He has had five diffrent injections and has to take medicine through a syringe and tablets twice a day. Oh what fun that will be giving him those. :giggle:
    She did say that if it hasn't healed in about a month's time then they will maybe have to amputate. So we are hoping it is going to heal before then.
    He was very pleased to see us and seems a lot happier as well, but he refused to eat their food and he is resting in my son's room.

17. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Well that's good news! He gets to hang on to his tail, and to heal. Good luck with everything over the coming month, including the medicines (one of mine is going through that right now too but it's fine). I really hope he makes a full recovery. So pleased!

18. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Great news - hope it heals well & he gets to keep his tail! One of my cats is on tablets at the moment - I hide it in a splodge of clotted cream & she eats it off my finger! :D

19. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

That's great news! I hope it gets better very soon!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice