Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tags

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Mellymackers, May 18, 2017.

1. Mellymackers

Mellymackers PetForums Newbie

Hello I've not started my dog walking business, I'm still in the planning stages and I've done a lot of reading and some people have mentioned they put tags on the dogs. Does everyone do this? Is this a legal thing? And what is on those tags? Would it be my business name and number or the clients? Hope this isn't a stupid question!

Maxine67 likes this.
  2. Maxine67

Maxine67 PetForums Member

I put tags on every dog I walk with the business name and phone number on so that if there was any issue with a dog wandering off, anyone finding them will call me rather than worrying the owner. Not all walkers use them but I like the security of knowing I can be reunited with a dog quickly if they should wander off.

Mellymackers likes this.
  3. Ownedbymany

Ownedbymany PetForums Senior

From a legal point tags/collars must have the owners surname and address on. Even if the dog is out with you, it still must have those details.

In addition I put my own tags on for whatever duration they are under my care. Purely from the point of view that if a dog did get away from me somehow them I'm probably going to be more likely to retrieve the dog than the owner is.

If it ever happened to me I would tell the owner what had happened as they have a right to know. They may have noticed behavioural changes themselves but not said anything to me and many other reasons.

Maxine67 and Mellymackers like this.
  4. Jelevents

Jelevents PetForums Member

I always put tags on the dogs my business name and number as I'm likely to be the closest if they ran off.
    Just remember to remove after walk, but I have got into the habit as I only use my own leads so take off at the same time, plus that prevents you giving a lead to the wrong owner.

Maxine67 likes this.
  5. Waggle n Purrs

Waggle n Purrs PetForums Member

I use my own tags as well or even one of my own collars with a tag which is often easier (I still use the client's own collar for attaching the lead to) I think it makes sense for someone who finds a dog to be able to contact me as I will still be in the area looking for the dog.

Maxine67 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice