Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

tableting a dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rebenda, Jul 17, 2009.

1. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

arghhhhhhhhh

this is proving to be a nightmare....hes had vomitting and diarhea the vet at work has precribed him antepsin tabs 3 times a day i cant get them down him for anything!!!hes now trying to bite me! any other dog at work just takes them but he wont hes supposed to be ill and im only tryna make him feel better! im close to giving up!

HELP!!

2. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Try putting the tablet in some chesse or something and he should eat it for u!
    Maybe give him a small piece without the tablet then give him a big piece with the tablet wrapped inside.. :)

rebenda likes this.
  3. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

ive tried it in bread with jam and he just snifs and walks away...hes not really eating but ill try it in an empty piece and then with it in cheers:D

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Like CL has suggested, hiding it in food might help. Something really tasty like a sausage or some chicken.

I assume you cant physically pop it down the back of his throat? Is he seriously trying to bite, or just warning?

5. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

omg YOUR A STAR!!! it worked im shocked as he were turning his nose up at everything else! hell be eating cheese for the nxt 5days then! lol some rep for u!

6. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

nah ive tried popping it down the throat as do it all time at work but he as bit me twice on fingers for it ive manage to get it down him in the cheese after ive emptied the cupboards with everthing else lol

7. Antepsin is also available in liquid form! whether the stranges are the same I do not know - but out vet provided us with a sringe. It was very simple to adminstrate! maybe you could ask your vet!
    DT

8. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

we stopped stocking it in liquid form! god knows why shudda seen my face when i were told today lol we use alot of it as well for our outpatients and inpatients so gunna be tableting alot. cant blieve theyv stopped stocking in liquid maybe ill ask and mither when im back in

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Cheese it is then!

All dogs have a weakness ;)

10. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

lol yes! he is now mithering for some more...not til later on next time tablets due lol

11. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

lol yes! he is now mithering for some more...not til later on next time tablets due lol

12. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ha ha.

I have to mention a 'Woody' memory now lol.

Now me, i can't force a tablet down a dog's throat. Sorry i can't. I find it upsetting. I know it has to be done but i can't do it. My dad does it instead. But anyway Woody was terrible when it came to tabletting him. He wouldn't take it from my hand. So i would hide it in his food - that didn't work! He was far too clever - he picked it up and he spat it out on the floor as if he was a human spitting out something odd.

13. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Brill, it works for my dogs and obviously worked for urs too!!:D thanks for the rep!!x

14. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

cheese is our tablet giving thing nice chunky bit mould it around it and down it goes lol!

15. Colsy

Colsy Banned

So glad you have managed to do it.:)
    One of my dogs is crafty with tablets,he will not take it in any food.
    So now i have to put it down the back of his throat.
    But i will always give him a treat afterwards.

16. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

I have an epileptic dog on three tablets twice a day for life, i struggled at first because i didnt want her getting upset every day not when its for life, i used to buy the tubes of primula cheese which she loved but they only last three days when opened so it wasnt practical, i soemtimes had cheese in but not always so i found the perfect solution........Butter.

i just coat the tablet in a small amount of butter, with it being greasy it slides down the throat but they love butter now all four dogs hear the top of the tablet bottle being removed and they all come running, the tjree not on meds have to have a blob to lol

I cant believe how easy it is and never thought id see a dog excited to have tablets, may be worth remembering if you ever run out of cheese :)

17. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I am very lucky that Buster ears tablets whole but I do wrap in cheese as I feel guilty having him sit and automatically sit for a tablet lol

As soonas he hears me open the tablet pot her comes running, sits and gives a paw.

I heard that if you put it in thier mouth wet their nose they lick thier nose and swallow tablet

18. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

Chicken & ham paste (or any paste) or the pill wrapped in a parcel of ham........never fails with my old girl......Lucy on the other hand will eat pills out ya hand:rolleyes:

19. cornflower

cornflower PetForums Member

I once scrapped the inside out of smelly doggy chop biscuit (we were trying to get her to eat anything at this point!) and put the tablet in that - she fell for it - once! After that we used to slip it into her mouth through the space where a tooth was missing and gently hold her snout. By the end of the course of antibiotics - she'd given up objecting! Wish I'd thought of cheese!

20. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

My 2 have recently been on antibiotics, after they were speyed. 2 tablets twice a day. Peanut butter worked wonders for us. They were queing up for it as soon as I got the tablets down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice