UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after tabitha got home on tuesday evening all seemed fine. she fed the kittens and washed them but then got on her bed out of reach for a bit of peace and quiet. she wasn't very well yesterday - a little vomiting and very quiet. she seems brighter today but she doesn't want the kittens near her. whenever they go by her she hisses and spits and sometimes lashes out a them. have i made a big mistake having her spayed while she still has them with her or do you think she may take to them again. i feel really sorry for the kittens. they cry for her but she isn't having any of it.

G

·
Sorry I haven't read any of your other posts so don't know that much info but the first thought that came into my head was of course she is going to be a bit off with her kittens. She has just had surgery.

If the kittens are at an age where they no longer need their mothers milk then surgery I think was the best thing you could do to prevent any accidental litters from happening and to take away the stress of being in call.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I can't pretend to know much about cats and their litters, but surely if she is still feeding them she should not have been spayed till they were independent? I am sure someone will tell me if I am wrong, but aren't you supposed to wait six weeks?
they were seven weeks old on the day she had the surgery. she was starting to get a bit funny with them before - occassionaly lashing out at them. but she is worse now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Oh no so sorry to hear about tabitha. I was thinking of doing Tamiya once sooty was roughly then same age but will wait to see how you get on. Have you rang the vet as sh pe may be more unwell than she looks and that could be the problem if it ps sore to feed them xx

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh no so sorry to hear about tabitha. I was thinking of doing Tamiya once sooty was roughly then same age but will wait to see how you get on. Have you rang the vet as sh pe may be more unwell than she looks and that could be the problem if it ps sore to feed them xx
i don't think that is what is wrong but i think i will have her checked if things don't alter. she comes and gets on our knee for cuddles and is really affectionate with everyone else including the dogs. she rubs around them for a fuss. she just simply doesn't seem to want the kittens:( i feel really guilty now

·
Registered
96 Posts
My girl had to have an emergency Csection and do we had her spayed at the same time, it has not changed her mothering nature at all. By 7 weeks mist moms are fairly peed off with their annoying children!

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I haven't read any of your other posts so don't know that much info but the first thought that came into my head was of course she is going to be a bit off with her kittens. She has just had surgery.

If the kittens are at an age where they no longer need their mothers milk then surgery I think was the best thing you could do to prevent any accidental litters from happening and to take away the stress of being in call.
tabitha came to me after she was dumped with a litter of kittens and was already pregnant again. there was no risk of any more pergnancies for her now she is here as all my cats are indoors with a room built off the back of the house allowing them access to fresh air. my two toms are neutered (all the girls are spayed) as i don't believe in unneccesary litters. like you say - having her spayed has taken away the stress of being in call. there is no point in putting any cat through it unless they are breeding cats. hopefully over the next few days she will settle down again.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont worry about it its just time and she knows best.My last girl who gave birth said enough was enough when her kitten was 5 weeks old.The kitten is fine and has eaten well since and is still on target in regards to weight.Dont worry they will be fine.
thanks for that. i was worried about what i had done to all of them. they are growing well and eating plenty. just missing their mom somewhat:(

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
It is likely the mom cat would have been pushing her kitties firmly away pretty soon anyway, and in my experience kitties are often reluctant to give up
suckling, even at 8, 9 or 10 weeks, in some cases. Who can blame them, as it must be comforting for them to suckle:)

It might be kinder to give the mom cat a bit of time in another part of the house away from the kitties for a day or two, until she feels better.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Please dont feel bad you have done a fantastic job taking her in and having the kittens-may kittens are sold around seven weeks, I have a friend who is a BYB who sells hers at 8 weeks - at least yours still have each other for company and the presence of mum even if she is a tad grumpy and if you said she was showing signs of getting fed up with the kittens before she was spayed she may of behaved in exactly them same way even if you had not taken her to the vets.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just thought i would let you know that tabitah is giving the torti kitten a huge wash as i write this and blue fire (bluey) is having a lovely big feed off his mom:)

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
after giving them all a feed and a clean she's decided to sleep in another room tonight:) i think she just wants some time to herself. can't say i blame her. if i'd had an op i wouldn't want 5 babies jumping on me either

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Glad she's feeling better now, just needed some recovery time.

I retired a queen and had her spayed at 10 weeks with her kittens, they came home and she went right to feeding them again. Each girl is different, some have more tolerance for kittens than others especially after an op.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad she's feeling better now, just needed some recovery time.

I retired a queen and had her spayed at 10 weeks with her kittens, they came home and she went right to feeding them again. Each girl is different, some have more tolerance for kittens than others especially after an op.
i think i worried about her reaction to the kittens because when she came to me with her kitten from the litter she was dumped with, she was still happy to let the kitten feed when she was approx 10 weeks old. i felt like i had broken a bond between mom and babies and it upset me. i know cats are not like humans - and that they will push the babies away etc but it was a shock to see her reaction, and i felt guilty for being the one that caused it.:( deep down i know i did the right thing for her. she was not under threat from getting pregnant again (she came to me pregnant btw) as she cannot get outside and my toms are neutered, but i don't see the point in stressing her out with heat cycles when there is no need. she's been through such a lot and deserves a quiet peaceful life - which is exactly what she will get now. she is such a gentle, trusting girl and has found a special place in my heart. i love her to bits:001_wub:

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,556 Posts
... but i don't see the point in stressing her out with heat cycles when there is no need...
You are doing a lot more than that. She is almost 100% proof against pyometra (infection in the uterus) and her chances of getting breast cancer are greatly reduced compared to leaving her unneutered.

I have heard of 'stump pyo' in neutered females, I know nothing about it beyond it being said to exist, but suspect it's very rare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.