Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

T&R?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by psychund, May 22, 2020 at 8:43 AM.

1. psychund

psychund PetForums Member

I live in the USA, and in my area I recently learned of a program my local shelter has called Trap and Release, where they trap stray cats, spay / neuter them, and release them back where they found them. This is because there are so many strays in our area that finding homes for all of them would be impossible, and to avoid putting down thousands of cats a year, they’re attempting to control the population instead.

To me this seems like a really wonderful thing, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this or has differing opinions on it? It’s just a new concept to me, but the stray cat population here has been so bad that it seems like a much better option than killing all of them aside from the healthiest / youngest ones as has been done in the past.

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

O2.0, chillminx and psychund like this.
  3. psychund

Thank you, I’m glad to have found out about it. During quarantine I’ve been considering volunteering at the local shelter because I have a lot of time on my hands and some of the volunteers there are immuno compromised or elderly and aren’t able to help as often as they had before, some not at all, and this is one of the programs I may be helping with so I wanted some insight :)

O2.0 and MilleD like this.
  4. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I'm not sure why anyone would see it any other way than as a good thing. Cats are an invasive species and their numbers urgently need to come down, so the more rescues and vets that participate in this, the better

psychund likes this.
  5. psychund

You really never know, stranger things I’ve found perfectly helpful others have found horrible or destructive. It was just the first I’d heard of such a thing, thought I’m glad to be looking into it now.

MilleD likes this.
  6. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Here in the UK all the rescue organisations operate TNR (trap, neuter and release) for feral/stray colonies which can only be a good thing. A queen can produce thousands of kittens in her lifetime if she isn't spayed early and entire males can go on to develop FIV which they then pass around the feral/stray population. Rescues do the best they can with rehoming but the truth is that there are far more cats than there are loving homes for them :(

psychund and chillminx like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It's actually called TNR which means trap, neuter and RETURN. Return being the operative word, as release implies just letting the cat go any where. The program returns the cats to their own territory.

And it's not new, it's been around many years, but glad to know the word is still spreading. :)

8. psychund

I didn’t think it meant release just anywhere, that’s simply what it’s called at my local shelter here.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Again TNR = Trap, neuter, RETURN. It's an important distinction, is why I am harping on it.

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Then your shelter should correct their terminology, because it is not accurate.

11. psychund

To be fair I don’t think anyone envisions the shelters neutering the animal and then releasing it out the backyard :rolleyes: but to each their own

O2.0 likes this.
  12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Well you'd be wrong there, because there are plenty of people who see the word "release" and assume it means just neuter the cat and then dump him off somewhere else.

The point is, the program is called Trap Neuter Return for a reason.

Interesting history:

https://resources.bestfriends.org/article/brief-history-tnr

13. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

@lorilu - I do apologise, I did of course mean RETURN. My only excuse is that I'm suffering from "lockdown brain" at the moment.

(By the way I volunteer with Cats Protection here in the UK and we are still operating our TNR programme at some of our centres here during the lockdown).

lorilu likes this.
  14. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Depends where they are really, when cats are wiping out endangered species and threatening hundreds of other native species, releasing them is less than ideal - if the multi millions could even be trapped to begin with.

15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yes TNR is very common here in the States :)
    The only objection I've heard is to the return part. There is the argument that feral cats endanger the local wildlife and that it's better to humanely euthanize instead of TNR.

It's a complicated issue and I do see both sides. Though emotionally I side with TNR, there is merit to the argument that feral cats do hurt bird and small mammal populations.

psychund likes this.
  16. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

What would you want them to do with them?

17. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If anyone from the USA is wondering, Neuter in the UK means spay females and castrate males.

psychund likes this.
  18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

It does in the US as well :)

19. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It frequently seems to be used for males only, instead of castrate.

psychund likes this.
  20. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

They are pts if they can't be homed I think

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice