UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ive noticed sausage has started biting his cage bars again he did it when we first got him and i genuinly think it was because the cage was too small so he is now in a rat cage, he has tubes, chewy toys, mineral chews, chewy sticks but he is still chewing the cage, its actually taken the paint off i noticed today.

Any advice as to how i can stop him from doing this? Or as to why he is doing it? His cage is in our room and bloody hell that noise is sooo loud at 4am lol!

Thankyou
Katie

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hey,

Sorry to hear you are having bar chewing problems! Our Syrian was a bar chewer when he was in his original cage (a Rotastak Genus 200) but since moving into his Alexander he's been pretty good. I know what you mean about it being loud! Just a couple questions if you don't mind:

What cage is he in now? How often do you get him out for free range time and cuddles, and for how long is he out for? Also, what wheel does he have?

Sorry to sound nosey :eek:

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
I'm guessing Sausage a Syrian? Bar chewing tend to be a Syrian thing, I've never had a dwarf do it ( and I've had a lot of dwarfs!) He might not be bored, he might just have a really annoying habit! Some Syrians will bar chew, even if their cage was overflowing with toys, just because. If you have a serial bar chewer not much will stop him, but you could try blocking off where he chews the most to try and discourage him. Weave some cardboard through the bars, or tie some on with zip ties. If that doesn't work, you might be better putting him in a tank type cage, or even a glass fish tank. Don't just let him continue though, because they can damage their teeth, and their noses biting bars all the time, the fur will rub off above the nose where it's constantly pressed against the metal. And yes, the noise can drive you insane.My Syrian is a chewer, nothing but nothing would stop her, and she had a small patch above her nose which would not re-grow quick enough. My brother made me some new cages a couple of weeks ago though, which have no bars whatsoever in them and she can't chew so the fur's grown back again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for your reply!

Erm i cannot remember what its called its a large rat one about 2and half foot by 1 and half foot...erm we get him out about every other day and we have the silent spinner 6inch which he doesnt really go in.

Yeah thats why id like to stop it because i read somewhere they can actually break their teeth doing it :eek: Yeah maybe have to get a glass one then or a bin one you reckon?

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Erm i cannot remember what its called its a large rat one about 2and half foot by 1 and half foot...erm we get him out about every other day and we have the silent spinner 6inch which he doesnt really go in.

Yeah thats why id like to stop it because i read somewhere they can actually break their teeth doing it :eek: Yeah maybe have to get a glass one then or a bin one you reckon?

Thanks guys!!!
Firstly that wheel is probably miles too small, which is why he doesn't use it. I'd definitely recommend getting the next size up silent spinner and giving it a couple of days. I know that when Bolt got too big to run comfortably in his wheel he stopped and chewed bars instead. It's worth a shot if it saves the money on buying a new cage!

They can really damage themselves if they are allowed to carry on bar chewing: broken teeth, teeth growing up through the brain if damaged enough, sores on the nose etc... So it is important. Plus you need your sleep I'm sure! :eek:

If a new wheel doesn't work then I'd definitely say it's time for a cage change. The ZooZone 2 is meant to be a great tank style cage for Syrians and it's quite large. Or you could make your own bin cage, but you'd really need a large bin and a lot of hard work! ;)

·
Banned
2,732 Posts

Thanks guys!!!
the 6" silent spinner is way too small for a Syrian, you need a 8-12" wheel for him. Their backs should be straight not bent when running in a wheel.

Bin cages are not really that difficult to make, you need a large plastic bin, a panel of mesh, zip ties and some time! Use a stanley knife/jigsaw/soldering iron, craft knife to cut a panel or 2 out of the side or the lid of the bin, cut the mesh to size and file down the edges, then use a hot blade to melt holes around the gap you cut out to tie the mesh on with zip ties. A couple of tips, don't drill the holes or saw the panel out as it is likely to crack the bin, and use 6mm mesh as hamsters can't get their teeth around it, or he'll just start chewing that instead.

If you want to buy an actual tank, zoozone 2's are good,but you have to zip tie mesh to the top, as the gap between the lid is too big. A glass tank is heavy if you want to move it about, but on the plus side, you wouldn't have to do any alterations. Another option would be a vivarium (without the heating bits). Some eople on hamster forums use them, infact that's they style of cage I've just made. Their nice and big, no bars, lighter/ less clanky than glass, and look nice in the house.

Something like this:

3 ft Reptile vivarium tanks | eBay

would make a lovely hamster home.

G

·

Thanks guys!!!
That will most likely be the reason that he is still chewing the bars, his wheel is far too small.
Get him an 8inch (minimum) wheel and his bar chewing will most likely reduce/stop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou all for your reply, really appriciate it:D ive just bought this wheel off zooplus

Zooplus

So i will try that out and go from there i think i will post some pics up of his cage later and u guys could maybe have a look and see if theres anything else i could add?

Thankyou! Xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.