Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Syrian hamster bedding

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Tiffanylarkins, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Tiffanylarkins

Tiffanylarkins PetForums Member

What does everyone use for there syrian hamster bedding I would like more ideas please

2. Smolmaus

Smolmaus PetForums Member

Kaytee clean and cosy (paper-based) over a layer of hemp, the hemparade one from zooplus. The hemp is the best value bedding but doesn't hold a burrow. Additional shredded toilet paper for nesting material.

Paper bedding is the most usual recommendation as it's less likely to cause respiratory issues than wood shavings (in the UK most wood shavings are resinous). Some humans react to wood shavings as well so paper is usually a safer choice. Fitch is a paper based material and can be bought in bulk. Tea-bag bedding is becoming more popular but availability depends on where you are/ if you have local suppliers. Carefresh is wood pulp, so it's similar to the paper stuff but I don't think it's as soft and it's usually quite expensive. Megazorb is also wood pulp and much cheaper but some people don't like the smell.

3. Tiffanylarkins

Would this one be okay? And if I decided to change his bedding would it stress him out?

Attached Files:

4. Smolmaus

There is a bit of buzz happening about this particular bedding at the minute actually. It contains polyester as part of the material so it isn't actually paper. Polyester won't break down in the gut if accidentally swallowed (paper will) so a lot of people are saying it's not safe to use as it could cause blockages in their digestive system. Of course other people are saying they've used it for years with no problems etc etc etc as always happens but why take the risk? I wouldn't.

Depends on how you change over. If you dump all his current bedding out and replace it all in one go he probably wouldn't be very happy. Whenever you do your next big cage clean take out your normal proportion of bedding (a third, a half, whatever you do) and replace that with new stuff so his old bedding still has his smell on it.

5. Tiffanylarkins

Okay as at the moment we're using antibacterial medium bale

6. Smolmaus

Absolutely no need for any antibacterial agent. I personally wouldn't go near that stuff. If someone is leaving shavings in a cage so long that they're at risk of going mouldy they're being genuinely neglectful. Why do shops sell this rubbish?

Also they are lemon scented? That can be really very overwhelming to a hamster's wee nose. Scented beddings are never ever recommended. I would recommend a non-scented paper based bedding like this one . But if you absolutely have to use shavings please use plain, unscented ones.

7. Tiffanylarkins

Is this one okay?

Attached Files:

8. Smolmaus

Yep thats the one I mentioned that I use in my first post.

9. Tiffanylarkins

I feel really bad now for giving bubbles that

10. Smolmaus

Pets at home give trash advice and sell trash products. You did the right thing asking for other advice, so absolutely no need to feel bad. Now you know and now you can fix it!

I trusted them too when I got my ham 5-6 years ago. Made all the mistakes! Almost everybody does unless they get lucky and find a hamster forum or FB group first.

Knighterist likes this.
  11. Tiffanylarkins

It's madness [email protected] had loads of the stuff aswel. Thank God I found this place and asked the question now I've ordered some. Had to order him a new wheel a few days after getting him as he was curving his back when he was on the one provided with the cage also got him a bigger water bottle. So hope fully everything will fall into place now that's ordered. My daughter wants to do his litter tray tonight so I might scoop some of the shavings out and just add toilet paper till my order comes Monday what do you reckon?

Knighterist and Smolmaus like this.
  12. Smolmaus

I would leave it till Monday. It's prolonged exposure that's more likely to cause problems so a few days won't make a huge difference. I'd make sure he has enough toilet tissue as nesting material that he has a nice cosy bed and he's not burying himself in shavings when he's alseep tho.

Knighterist likes this.
  13. Tiffanylarkins

I just gave him a bit of tissue torn up and he's shoved most of it in his mouth and took it up to his tunnel for storage

14. Knighterist

Knighterist PetForums Member

I'm using medium bale unscented no anti back from [email protected] at the moment and the paper bedding also from [email protected]
    As my hamster was from there he is already used to and have not shown any adverse reaction to those two bedding items. I have bought the clean n cosy for him a little while back but currently eliminating his scratching reasons so I had to stop using it...I do hope he is ok with that because the clean n cosy is *so soft* and must be sleeping on a cloud for hammies! I want Marble to have as much comfort as his little heart desires but at the moment he can only have [email protected] stuff...

15. Tiffanylarkins

I just want to give bubbles the best and he seems to be okay but like smolmaus said the longer I leave him in there he might get problems and he takes some up to his tunnel

Knighterist likes this.
  16. Tiffanylarkins

Is this any good?

Attached Files:

17. Knighterist

Knighterist PetForums Member

I was reading up and saw a few people using it. I still find wood shavings quite a divide...Marble has been doing well I think in his wood shavings bedding, the vet said that I should continue using it unless he gets worse, but people have confirmed [email protected] has pine shavings but supposedly kiln dried.

#17 Knighterist, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  18. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

With all the controversy over wood shavings I just don't risk it. We know the phenols in certaing woods can cause health problems and I've yet to see any concrete proof that kiln dried etc are any safer. I prefer to stick to the alternative bedding types just to be on the safe side. I've used carefresh in the past, which was fine but expensive. I'm now using eco pet bed which seems to work well with my mice and is much more cost effective.

19. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I've used carefresh and Kaytee clean and cosy and it's great for burrowing but not great with odour control when peed on. I've found hemp bedding (aubiose) to be my saving grace and use it for all my hams as the main substrate

Knighterist likes this.
  20. Tiffanylarkins

So the new bedding is in and he loves it

Knighterist and Engel98 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice