Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Syds kittens and the other animals - advice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by _soph_, Aug 10, 2009.

1. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

So nearly 48 hrs on and all seems to be going well in the house of "kittie heaven". However a small problem has arisen tonight that i'm not sure what to do about it.

My animals have an "access all areas" pass for my house and that is shared with 3 cats - Ted (Cantankerous neutered cat) Lilly (heavily pregnant) Syd (who has added a following four) Elvis (adorable but stupid labrador and Lulu (the most ridiculous yorkshire terrier who believes she is a cat). Up until Syd had her babies harmony reigned supreme now however they are all very aware that something "unusual" is taking place and they are all "DESPERATE" to get into the downstairs office (cat nursery) to see whats going on. This so far has not been a problem because we can keep them locked out of the room, however Syd now has other ideas!

I went into the "nursery" to check everything was o.k and Syd has pulled all the carpet up near the door trying to get out! She ran through my legs into the main house. The kittens were laying in their nest asleep so no problems there. I obviously couldn't leave the door open to the room because I didn't want the other animals getting in. In the end I had to stand and wait for her to have a "wander" for 10 minutes so she was able to get back in when she came back!! So questions!! (About time, I can hear you say!)

1. Do you keep your cat locked in one room and never let them in the main house? (There is everything she needs in there) And if so for how many weeks?

2. Should I do what I did and just "hang around" and wait for her to come back? (For the sake of my carpets!)

3. Any ideas of what I can put down near the door to stop her shredding and pulling it up if i go with option 1.

4. At what age should I try introducing the other animals to the babies?

Phew....Thats better. Looking forward to hearing all your solutions!!:wink5:

2. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i know a lot of people will probably disagree with me but when graycie had kittens the other cats (within a day) had all been up to have a sniff at the new babies and graycie was quite happy for them to do so. if you sit next to syd and her babies i am sure she will be more than happy for the introductions if not she will let you know

3. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

how about a magnetic cat flap in the study door ..so only mummy cat could get in and out :D other than that im a bit lost sorry ;)
    julie x

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I had mine in a little room with no access to other animals. As they got a little older Snoop would go in and have a little look and started palying with them around 5 weeks but Tilly (outside cat who came in occasionally) stayed well clear until they around 4 weeks.

I went in to check on them and there she was proud as punch licking them! :rolleyes:

5. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

Tabitha had her kittens at the back of my wardrobe and got incredibly stressed if she was shut in my bedroom. I work so wasn't there to let her out when she meowed so I left my bedroom door open so she could come and go as she pleased. I was there to supervise initially as it did mean that the other cats would have had access to the kittens if they wished but it never caused any problems. They didn't seem that interested. I don't have dogs, however, so I don't know if that would have been different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice