Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Swollen paw

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LauraH87, Jun 12, 2017.

1. LauraH87

LauraH87 PetForums Newbie

Our cat Snarf has some swelling on top of his hind paw - he's walking fine and isn't in any obvious distress, though I have seen him give it a shake a few times so it's clearly bothering him. We first noticed some mild swelling yesterday when we came back from a week away, but the cat sitter didn't mention any limping or accidents etc.

The swelling seems to be worse this evening, we've checked his paw and between his toes but aren't seeing any cuts or abrasions and he's happy enough to let us have a poke about and clean it with warm water.

Has anyone had any experience of this or similar before? Hoping for an appointment with the vet tomorrow or Wednesday but would like to know if there's anything I can do to help him I'm the meantime or if there's anything I should be looking out for.

2. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

It could be an abscess. Infection can get into even a tiny cut, especially on the feet. I would definitely get an appointment first thing in the morning. Hopefully they can sort him out.

3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Could it be a sting?

4. LauraH87

We thought it might be but he's an indoor cat and the bottom pads seem absolutely fine, though you never know!

5. LauraH87

Fingers crossed the vet can fit us in tomorrow!

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

The fact that the swelling has increased since you first noticed it yesterday would,I think ,rule out a sting.
    It could be an abscess or an injury to his paw/leg so I would have it seen by your vet tomorrow,I certainly wouldn't be happy with my vet if they couldn't fit him in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice