Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Swollen Lymph glands

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by xxzeezeexx, Sep 9, 2013.

1. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

My OH took our moggy to the vets for a claw clip and a general once over. She had a bit of a skin condition for awhile, which she has had an injection for a few time.
    Vet mentioned that her lymph glands are a bit swollen and said it might be down to infection which the injection should help with. Keep an eye on her and if she's no worse come back in 2 weeks for a check up.

Thing is when the vets say to me, does she seem ok in herself? I say yes. Because she hasnt changed in the last 2 years but compared to her younger self (ie 2 years ago) she is way different. She used to go outdoors all the time and go visit the neighbours and hunt. When she wasn't she was snoozing on the bed of on the sofa.
    Now she spends all day under a cupboard in the spare room, coming out for food and toilet. She comes to us for cuddles often enough but once I get up she goes right back to her hiding place. This is how shes been for the last 2 years, since she got arthritis - which she is on painkillers and glucosamine for.
    She eats like a horse and her fur is still in good condition despite the skin condition.
    Does it seem like I should be worried?

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

What age is she? If she has arthritis, it's no wonder she doesn't feel like gadding about and she won't be the mobile cat she used to be. She will be slowing down and may well not want to go out now where perhaps she feels more vulnerable if there are other cats around etc. If she is on painkillers regularly, these might also be having some affect. She also won't be feeling too bright if shes got an infection. If she's eating OK that's a good sign. If the vet has given her some treatment, let's hope she is better in a few days.

3. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

I've had her about 9 years and the people I got her from got her from a rescue. They thought she was about 4 but as you can imagine that is pretty rough guesstimate. So 13 ish. She lost one of her big top teeth like 5 years ago and the second not too long after that if that helps age a cat much.
    I know shes not going to be her old (young) self now, but its hard to spot any negative changes in her now. I always say she is fine to the vet as she eats well and is happy when she does come for cuddles.
    Theres also a lump on her back leg I need to show the vet too :(

4. Charity

You definitely need to tell your vet asap about the lump on her leg as this could be connected to the swollen lymph glands and could be more than just an infection. Has this just come up or has she had it longer?

5. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

That I have noticed, in the last 2 weeks. I told my OH about it before he went to the vet but at the time I couldn't remember exactly where it was and neither he nor the vet found it. I was in hospital myself at this point so I couldn't show them. Should I wait for the 18th, which is her check up day or go tomorrow? I am going to work in 2 mins so cant today.

6. Charity

I would phone and ask to speak direct to your vet and tell him/her about the lump and they may suggest bringing her back. Suspicious lumps grow very quickly, I know as I lost one of my cats earlier this year with one.

7. KathinUK

KathinUK PetForums Senior

Hi whereabouts on her leg is this lump .. is it in her groin area as there are lymph nodes there?

Kath

8. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

Closer to back of her knee.

9. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

I rang my oh and apparently I got it wrong- vet had found limp on leg. I rang the vets day after to get better info the oh relayed to me. They said nodes/glands in the mouth were swollen .which is wrong. I'll just keep my eye her and wait for 18th.

10. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I don't know what info you are asking us for to be honest.

Your cat hides away under a cupboard for most of the time.
    Your cat has swollen lymph nodes.
    Your cat has a mysterious lump growing on its back leg.

Your vet has told you she has swollen glands in the mouth, yet you are saying your vet is wrong. What makes you say that? Vets are far more qualified than you to assess that surely (unless you are a vet yourself).

Should you be worried? If it was my cat I would be.

Swollen lymph nodes can point to all sorts of things. Infection being the least of your worries. It can also point to lymphoma (cancer), and sometimes to auto-immune disease, and other things as well I imagine.

The swollen nodes, and the lump on the leg alone would have me rushing my cat to a vet and asking questions, and at least asking for a blood test for possible infection diagnosis.

Have they given her antibiotics if they suspect an infection? Does she have any other symptoms, for example, a high temperature? Although that is not always indicitive of an infection and could be something else, so surely some ABs to start with would rule out infection?

Personally, I wouldn't be waiting another 9 days to see a vet.

11. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

I think you've mis-read my post. I typed it on my phone at work in the loos so cant blame you.
    I rang my vets to get information about the consultation. The secretary read off notes from system. She said that the vet had found swollen node/glands and when I ask where she said they are in the mouth.
    Just a bit of miss communication on our part. I thought my OH had said he hadn't found the lump on her leg.
    As I mentioned in a earlier post, she has been given an injection for the potential infect.

12. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Yes, I totally misread it then - sorry about that :blush:

I think I am inclined to 'panic' more about swollen lymph nodes because of what I have been through with Rowan (very rare auto-immune disease, which had all the symptoms of infection to start with!), so if anyone mentions those symptoms, I am 'get them to the vet, what are you waiting for??' :eek:

Apologies for the misunderstanding, and I hope she gets better soon :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice