Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Swollen cat paw

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Steven Mallinson, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Steven Mallinson

Steven Mallinson PetForums Newbie

Hi, my cat loves to chase any small flying creature and inevitably has been stung. First time I took him to the vet it’s cost £110 for the consultation, antibiotic and a painkiller. The excess on insurance is £99 so not really much good with these type of things. He’s come home today with another swollen paw so I will need to go to the vet again. I want to look after him properly but I can’t afford these vet bills every couple of weeks. Has anyone any suggestions as to what I could do to treat this swollen paw at home without going to the vet?

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I use Piriton with insect stings and it works really well.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, you do need to take him to the vet tomorrow because you don't know what has caused the swollen paw and only the vet can diagnose it.

It could be another insect bite or a sting, it could be a cut or damage to one of his paw pads (which could become infected if not treated) or it could be he has sprained his paw from landing awkwardly after a jump. Or he could have been in a fight with another cat and got his paw bitten, or bruised it during a fight.

All sorts of possibilities, some of which will require antibiotics and pain relief, some which may just require pain relief. I suspect it may not be another sting because cats are generally good at learning a lesson after being stung once and thereafter leave wasps and bees etc alone (once bitten, twice shy and all that ;))

The excess on my pet insurance has recently gone up to £90 for each new condition, so I sympathise. But pet insurance is useful when it comes to an ongoing illness, such as one of my cats has, so I keep the policies going.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice