UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that Tails has a swollen ankle, she is limping slightly on it but is still happy to run and try and play with our other dog (ive stopped her and sent her to bed to rest)

We cant go to the vets until tomorrow when we get paid as OH's wages didnt go in today. She will be going first thing in the morning though for a check up.

Is there anything i can do tonight? the lump is hard and all the way round her back left ankle, i think its about the size of a ping pong ball slightly smaller.

Just noticed it in the last 20 mins she was laid on the sofa sleeping when i noticed it, she has had a run about today but ive not noticed her bang into anything or be to rough with our other dog.

Any ideas? Anything i should do to help get rid of the swelling until i can get her to the vets in the morning?

She is a 17 week old dobermann puppy

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Just noticed that Tails has a swollen ankle, she is limping slightly on it but is still happy to run and try and play with our other dog (ive stopped her and sent her to bed to rest)

We cant go to the vets until tomorrow when we get paid as OH's wages didnt go in today. She will be going first thing in the morning though for a check up.

Is there anything i can do tonight? the lump is hard and all the way round her back left ankle, i think its about the size of a ping pong ball slightly smaller.

Just noticed it in the last 20 mins she was laid on the sofa sleeping when i noticed it, she has had a run about today but ive not noticed her bang into anything or be to rough with our other dog.

Any ideas? Anything i should do to help get rid of the swelling until i can get her to the vets in the morning?

She is a 17 week old dobermann puppy
Just keep her rested as much as possible, jumping on and off things and going up and down stairs is usually the worse so try and stop that. Might be an idea if you can to stop any form of mad full out running. If you can take her out to toilet as much as possible on lead too until the vets seen it even better. (Not easy in a 17 week old pup any of it granted)

It could be anything, she may even have got stung, Kobi had a lump come up on the back of his neck that was large and like a ping pong ball after yelping in the garden and that was a sting although took a good while to completely dissapear Hes didnt bother him or it wasnt painful.

Wouldnt hurt to get it checked though if its on the wrists and around the enlarged knobbly part which you seen in larger breeds its worth getting checked out, the growth plates are at the end of the long bones too.

Might be worth seeing if she will let you put an ice pack on it, ice cubes in a plastic bag then wrapped in a cloth like a tea towel, if she will let you sit holding that on it for 20/30 minutes that may help the swelling.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks she is booked in at the vets for 11.05, they have said if she needs an x-ray they start at £60 No idea how im going to be able to afford that this week but hey will just have to go without for a week if it means my little girl gets sorted out.

She never yelped in pain, she hasnt fallen, she wasnt over exercised, in fact she doesnt walk every day and most days just has training sessions, she hasnt been to rough playing with our other dog or anything i cant think of anything that would have caused this.

I feel like such a bad puppy mummy everything seems to be going wrong!! Im trying so hard but she has had a UTI and an infection of her gut now this! :crying:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luckily i have a wellness plan that means the consultation was free and i just paid for the meds so it didnt break the bank :)

Vet doesnt know what she has done either is treating her with Metacam for the swelling and if she doesnt improve on this to take her back and he will give her a course of antibiotics incase its an infection in the joint an do an x-ray to make sure its not anything else. He said he didnt want to go straight to that as she isnt showing any signs of pain from it so things its more likely she bashed it, if the Metcam doesnt work in a week or if she gets any worse then straight back we go.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I am surprised the vet did not ask you to cease walks for 3 days then lead walk for 7 days otherwise you may find the swelling just will not budge even with metacam.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am surprised the vet did not ask you to cease walks for 3 days then lead walk for 7 days otherwise you may find the swelling just will not budge even with metacam.
We are not to walk her she is to be lead walked out to the garden and then back to bed :) My head is kind of spinning at the moment trying to remember everything the vet said, i had my kids with me who were being pains and jumping around while i was trying to listen.

I dont walk her everyday anyway as she is still so young we mainly do training sessions for her exercise until she is a bit older.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
We are not to walk her she is to be lead walked out to the garden and then back to bed :) My head is kind of spinning at the moment trying to remember everything the vet said, i had my kids with me who were being pains and jumping around while i was trying to listen.

I dont walk her everyday anyway as she is still so young we mainly do training sessions for her exercise until she is a bit older.
That's good, then I would stick to lead walking and at her age she should be walked 5 mins for every month of her life, so not a lot really. Try to keep her settled in the house rather than jumping around with the kids (if that's what she would normally do) but give her a kong or something that will occupy her whilst resting.

You are doing fine, puppies go through all sorts of traumas but for you given you have little cash to throw around it is important that the swelling goes down enough not to warrant further expensive xrays.

Keep your chin up.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's good, then I would stick to lead walking and at her age she should be walked 5 mins for every month of her life, so not a lot really. Try to keep her settled in the house rather than jumping around with the kids (if that's what she would normally do) but give her a kong or something that will occupy her whilst resting.

You are doing fine, puppies go through all sorts of traumas but for you given you have little cash to throw around it is important that the swelling goes down enough not to warrant further expensive xrays.

Keep your chin up.
We were doing a day of training session then the next day a short walk then training etc so she doesnt get over exercised. Im keeping her in her crate a lot more than she is used to and were off out to buy her a bone to keep her occupied as the kong is quickly getting boring, ive also made a toy with a ball and a baby sock for her to destroy.

If OH had got paid there wouldnt have been a problem but were now £500 down and still have to feed animals and children!! So glad the vet bills were low but if she had needed more i would have just not paid some bills for a week, she is far more important to me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.