Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Switching to wood pellets

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Orla, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

Has anyone successfully managed to do this? My boy used wood pellets in rescue so I used them in his room when he first came but once he graduated downstairs they both just used the oko in the trays down there. I switched the bathroom one back to pellets recently and neither of them have touched it. Was hoping to persuade them to use it so I could go the britpet tray route. Any suggestions?

2. Lunarags

Lunarags PetForums Member

You can try mixing the litters or filling the tray with pellets and sprinkling a thin layer of the old litter on top you can also pop them in the tray frequently to try and get them used to it. You will probably find that once they start going in it they get used to it quite quickly

Orla and ewelsh like this.
  3. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Yes me....we had a total success :)

They used pellets when they were much younger but this was pre forum days and I got fed up with the sawdust (no idea about sifting pans at that point!). We then went through a whole heap of different fine clay based litters with varying degrees of success. They were fine with them but it was a lot of waste, and I didn't 100% feel I could contain the odours.

We moved to pellets about a year ago and I was expecting a fight after so long on soft sandy litter but they were brilliant - and we haven't looked back. The trays are cleaner and the odour control is far superior than anything I've used before. The fact the litter itself is much cheaper is an added bonus, I'm just happy with the rest :)

ewelsh and Orla like this.
  4. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

Thanks @Ali71 that gives me hope. Did you switch gradually or just one day not use their regular litter at all?

Ali71 likes this.
  5. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Sorry @Orla I crashed out last night!

I think I just switched - filled the tray up (we still had the one initially) and kept the other in reserve in case it was a total refusal. Held my breath a bit but once they'd both done both it was fine :)

Orla likes this.
  6. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

Just a quick update. They are now both using the wood pellets. We are using their regular trays (storage boxes) and just using the pets at home sifter tray to empty the trays through a couple of times per day. At some point we will switch to proper trays but one step at a time and they seem happy enough with this option for now. Thanks @Ali71 for the feedback and giving me the nerve to try it. The difference it has made to tracking is incredible x

Ali71 likes this.
  7. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Oh brilliant!! That is amazing news, I'm so pleased they have taken to it. Your hoover will thank you for it (and your pocket I'm sure). Really chuffed for you xx

Orla likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice