Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Switching to RAW

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by H0lly, Sep 3, 2013.

1. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

We are switching to Raw soon ,as our local pet shop has started producing and selling her own brand. Who im sure I have mentioned is awesome she is a canine nutritionist who has a 100% natural stock.

However today we ran out of kibble. So have started early and had our 1st try of chicken leg to get them used to it.
    Got to say I was a nervous wreck so held on to it until eaten :)

They are on 800g a day each would you do this in 3 or 2 meals ?

Its a winner for sure

2. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Ben has 600g a day raw and I spilt this into morning meal and evening meal. He will have a raw egg 3 or 4 times a week which he likes to play with for abit :D I guess it depends what you have been doing on kibble. If they are used to two meals then stick with that :)

3. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

I think for raw 1 or 2 meals are better!
    When mine get duck carcass or something big, they will only get something really small in the evening like a little bit of left over tea or a chicken wing. I only do this as raven has been fed 2 meals for 10 years and will bug me silly until she gets something!!

4. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

Yeah we have been doing 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock kibble. I was just wondering if 400g is too much in one go ?

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Willow has about 400g a day and has that in one meal :)

best of luck with the switch

try not to worry, just go with the flow

6. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I give Kes 2 400-450g meal per day and she's fine with that :) You may find they put on weight and you have to put them down a percent or half

7. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

What weight are they?

2-3% of their body weight is what you should be feeding them, the lesser amount if they get less exercise and 3% if they get lots of exercise. You just have to watch how they go. All of mine are on more than they are supposed to be - top end, because they just run their weight off everyday.

Mine sometimes get 600/700/800g over 2 meals or sometimes just 1. (Lou on 800g, Pen on 600g and Jack on 700g although I'm crap and they all tend to have 800g anyway)

My raw page on fb is in my signature if you want to join :p And you forgot something - pictures! :D

8. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I feed once a day so they get everything all at once. They have eaten 3kg+ in one sitting as we do gorge meals so 400g will be fine :D

9. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

I have added up that 28kg is maximum optimum weight for dora and a ideal weight for otis.

But im sure once we get in to the swing of things I will work out how much suits them. Im a rubbish mum and didn't get pictures as too scared and hanging on to the chicken for grim death :(

3kg Eeeeeek lol im sure 400g be fine :)

10. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

I gave Ben a whole chicken carcass first as the bigger the better as then they have to chew. He was great with it and now he has wings/drumsticks and I don't panic.

Your boxers would be fine to have a carcass each :)

11. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

How would I prepare the carcus ? Sorry for stupid questions

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

No prep required - just put carcass down and watch it disappear!!

400g in one meal is fine. Mine have around 1kg every night for dinner and a smaller breakfast.

13. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

Just one of yours gets Bailey`s weight in a weeks worth of dinners :eek: :D

14. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Good luck - we started raw on Friday here :) I've actually found that Kenzie eats her bones better if I don't hold them - I think when I was holding them she was trying to get it down as quickly as possible, but if I just give them to her she chews and chews and chews and chews and crunches the bones really well :)

Kenzie only gets 60g per meal so can't help on the other point :eek:

16. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

Day 2 . Went well had a chicken leg for breakfast and then 2 x just under 400g for lunch and dinner. I have read that poos may be a little hard to start with. So no bone tomorrow.

At the moment we are making do with super market meat untill my supplier is ready.

Any tips on what to buy ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice